586,350 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Should I get 5.0 or wait for 6.0, or

Should I get 5.0 or wait for 6.0, or

Should I get 5.0 or wait for 6.0 or, buy a differant cam program.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Dolphin CAD/CAM is largely growing. Very thought out program and plenty to offer. Download and check yourself at www.cadcamconsultants.com. Again, no sales needed, the software sells it self.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneydeeeee View Post
    Dolphin CAD/CAM is largely growing. Very thought out program and plenty to offer. Download and check yourself at www.cadcamconsultants.com. Again, no sales needed, the software sells it self.
    Hi
    thanks for the responce.

I had a look at it. It doesn't tell you what each level does over the other.

I watched the level 2 3D tutorial, it looks pretty powerful compared to VM, but also looks harder to use.

Does it do 4th Axis work?

Well level 2 or level 3 should handle what you'll be doing. It doesnt surfacing just not super complex sufaces. It creates bottles etc. It is extremely easy to use. Check out partmaster level 3. Also, click on the training tab from the home page and you'll see different tutorials.

BTW, VM is only CAM, doesnt offer any CAD Creation.

Well level 2 or level 3 should handle what you'll be doing. It doesnt surfacing just not super complex sufaces. It creates bottles etc. It is extremely easy to use. Check out partmaster level 3. Also, click on the training tab from the home page and you'll see different tutorials.

BTW, VM is only CAM, doesnt offer any CAD Creation.
    Hi

I did watch quite a few of the tutorials, they where very good . I still have no Idea what the program will or will not do. It would be nice it they broke it down for each level.

I don't need any cad programs, I have several so that would not be a selling point for me.

Well if you have a CAD system, that is a good help for the simple fact that you are very familiar with them. One helpful thing though about buying a complete CAD/CAM system is the basic fact that when you import a drawing into the CAM, some times you may need to make a quick change or mod. Instead of exporting again and redoing it that way, you can make the quick mod inside the system. Also, to give you some differences, download level 3 off the site. Dont worry about pricing, we'll get you squared away with that. Dload level 3 and see what you think. Another thing about VM is they arent very flexible with pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by fc911c View Post
    Hi
    I did watch quite a few of the tutorials, they where very good . I still have no Idea what the program will or will not do. It would be nice it they broke it down for each level.
    Where are the tutorials? I just see some animated gifs things on the site.

From the homepage, you'll see training on top. Click on that link.

From the homepage, you'll see training on top. Click on that link.
    Ah, there it is

FWIW: It does not seem to be accessible on all the pages though... actually, it seems to only be accessible after clicking the "Home" link. The "Buy now" link does not seem to be accessible from all either...

Yes as of right now, buying online is not a secure option yet so it's not posted.

Well if you have a CAD system, that is a good help for the simple fact that you are very familiar with them. One helpful thing though about buying a complete CAD/CAM system is the basic fact that when you import a drawing into the CAM, some times you may need to make a quick change or mod. Instead of exporting again and redoing it that way, you can make the quick mod inside the system. Also, to give you some differences, download level 3 off the site. Dont worry about pricing, we'll get you squared away with that. Dload level 3 and see what you think. Another thing about VM is they arent very flexible with pricing.
    Visual Mill 5 has quite a bit of drawing functionality including surfaces. I would not call it CAD but it has more than enough functionality to support machining ops.

fc911c - I suggest you call Mecsoft and get a demo of VM6 and talk to them about what's in it, timing, price etc. The user interface in VM5 is an 80's antique and I've heard that is history in V6. I don't use my VM5 but if 6 is good I might upgrade.