I built a custom machine using some sherline components. Basicaly it is a 2 axis machine, one rotary, one linear. I have been using it to do indexed drilling and it works extremely well. I just have the handheld motion controllers for the two axis. I have a sherline headstock mounted onto the x y table with a stepper on the x, I then have the rotary table mounted off to the side which has a timing belt and pulley going to a small 5C headstock. I can do indexed drilling into wood bowls, cylinders or whatever I mount on it. You probably have a mental picture of what it looks like now.
I would like to add another stepper on the y and get a controller, some software and see what kind of cool stuff I can make with a full 2 axis plus rotary. I am kinda intimidated with cnc but ready to take the plunge being as Im already halfway there with the machine. Once I do this will I be able to run all 3 axis simultaneosly? If so,that would be really cool. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would like to use my existing computer if possible. WindowsXP.......Thanks