586,114 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Keep trying

Page 1 of 3 123

Talking Keep trying

I took some video of my homebuilt machine running to help encourage folks to keep their build going.

My machine isn't the best desing but it does work ok for what I use it for, and was very simple to build.

I'm running a server from home so if your having trouble getting the video it may be because others are getting it and you may have to try later.

The first video is me explaining what I'm going to do, starting the machine and the first few passes. In short I cut a slice out of a cedar log and I'm going to clear the surface with a 1.5 inch bit cutting at .2 inch each pass to prepare it for a sign. The second video is a shot on the back side later in the process (I hade to get away because the chips where flying !)

Video 1
    Video 2

Later today I'm going to cut 8 nested 8" texas shaped bowles from pine boards and will record some parts of that.

So in short if I can build one you can too!

Thanks, I love videos like this as I am just starting construction.

I'm having a hard time calculating what steppers to buy though. Would you please tell me what motors your running, with what controller and PS volatage?

Thanks,
    BobL.

I am jealous to see this

I'm having a hard time calculating what steppers to buy though. Would you please tell me what motors your running, with what controller and PS volatage?
    This thread explains the details of the build http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29403

I'm glad it is insperational to you

Quote Originally Posted by Netjams View Post
    So in short if I can build one you can too!
    HA! This from a guy that built his own shop-vac! Methinks you under-estimate my ability to create junk.

In the first video, you said, "It's still a poor design."

Umm... yeah, Netjams. It sure LOOKS like it cuts wood.

But seriously, awesome vids. Thanks for posting them. And thanks for the encouragement and inspiration!

Steve in NM

Talking

I see you noticed my shop vac

Glad you enjoyed the vidio. If all goes well and I get off my duff today I should have more later.

Quote Originally Posted by boblon View Post
    Thanks, I love videos like this as I am just starting construction.

Thanks,
    BobL.
    I see I had video spelled vidio and edited it.. thanks

Talking

Here is video of todays production, enjoy

mass production

Here is video of todays production, enjoy

mass production
    I stand in awe! You managed to instantly launch yourself into that elite group that built their own machine *AND* actually made money from it. KUDOS!!!:banana:

Please tell us this wasn't your first machine. (Else, I'll have to hate you. )

Why do you suppose it started out so rough and improved as the run progressed?

Steve in NM

Quote Originally Posted by Wun Fungi View Post
    I stand in awe! You managed to instantly launch yourself into that elite group that built their own machine *AND* actually made money from it. KUDOS!!!:banana:

Please tell us this wasn't your first machine. (Else, I'll have to hate you. )

Why do you suppose it started out so rough and improved as the run progressed?

Steve in NM

That is my first machine.. sorry

The results got better because I adjusted the feed rate and turned up the bit speed. That was my first time trying a spiral bit and I must say I didn't care for the results.

Today I'm cutting more and making tops for them. I will be using a 1/2" X2 straight router bit to cut. It's running now and I will go get some vidio so you will see the difference.

Here I went back to 4 per board and back to my 1/2" x 2 standard router bit that does a far better job and a lot faster too.

More mass production

good job! Makin' money, now youre talking.. It looks like they might be able to be nested a bit tighter, maybe getting an extra bowl out of each blank perhaps??

Now cut some out of mahogany and sell 'em for $30 ea

~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by srmaietta View Post
    good job! Makin' money, now youre talking.. It looks like they might be able to be nested a bit tighter, maybe getting an extra bowl out of each blank perhaps??

Now cut some out of mahogany and sell 'em for $30 ea

~Steve
    Yeh I know about the nesting but I was hoping to use the leftover board with all them texas images cut in it for a bench or some other saleable thing . Now I need to find a saleable use for the saw dust.

That is my first machine.. sorry
    Well, FINE! I hate you.

Umm... How 'bout some stills of the machine construction? Purdy please?

BTW - I was born and raised in the Lone Star State. Listening to you kinda makes me homesick. Though I'm not sure if that drawl of yours is 100% Texan. Is it?

Steve in NM

Talking

Na I'm a Cali. transplant from 30 years ago but must have some Texas blood in me heck all I make are Texas bowls..lol

As far a stills you can follow the link I posted on the first page to my 6 month late build log about the machine. I have made some minor changes to it that made major differences like the bearings on the side I pointed out in one of the vidios and also a couple of small braces to the router mount. One thing I think I did do correct on this entire project is after a lot of reading I chose to go with top quality driver software,motors, motor drivers and ball screws. All those parts allow me to cut these amazing speeds with a wood machine, as a matter of fact if i'm not carfull with the code, the machine has the ability to break itself. I don't have any limit switches and the driver motor screw package has far more power then the wood.

One question.. How does the bottom of the bowls come out with a flat bottm bit cutting the pocket?Around here you usually see a ball-end mill doing this kind of work with a very small stepover to make a smooth bottom.

keep it up!

~Steve in Jersey

All i can say is "wow", you are one fine piece of encouragement, I'm looking for ideas to use to make my machine worth the time and effort i'm putting into it now, when it's completed I think i'll try my hand at some local artifact ideas, maybe you can try things like ash trays, local birds, animals or spur up some more ideas out of nature, who knows, worth a try. It's interesting that you used it on glass too, can't remember seeing anyone in the "zone" doing that one, what speed/depth per cut did you go on the glass?

Quote Originally Posted by srmaietta View Post
    One question.. How does the bottom of the bowls come out with a flat bottm bit cutting the pocket?Around here you usually see a ball-end mill doing this kind of work with a very small stepover to make a smooth bottom.

keep it up!

~Steve in Jersey
    The bottom comes out very clean, in most cases a brush with light sand paper hides any evedance of machine marks.

Quote Originally Posted by tajord View Post
    All i can say is "wow", you are one fine piece of encouragement, I'm looking for ideas to use to make my machine worth the time and effort i'm putting into it now, when it's completed I think i'll try my hand at some local artifact ideas, maybe you can try things like ash trays, local birds, animals or spur up some more ideas out of nature, who knows, worth a try. It's interesting that you used it on glass too, can't remember seeing anyone in the "zone" doing that one, what speed/depth per cut did you go on the glass?

On the glass you need to cut about .002 at a feed rate of 15 ipm or so, too deep will burn the bit and too slow will too. I listen for a scratching sound, when it makes that sound it's cutting good, if it sqeeks it's burning.

I don't have any limit switches and the driver motor screw package has far more power then the wood.
    I need to ecourage you to install those limit switches and an ES switch if you don't have one. Cheap, CHEAP insurance. I'll bet a dollar you already have everything you need but the switches and some wire. Your software is ready. The electronics house where you got your bearings has probably got micro switches for peanuts. I'm using reed swichtes and super magnets. To make it even sweeter, there's a procedure somewhere on this site (By GER21?) for setting Z0 with just a brass plate and a piece of wire hooked to one side of the switch.

I've been in the field of EDA long enough to see the "A" go from Automation to Anomaly more times than I can recall. By your own admission, this thing has enough cojones to take itself apart.

Edit: This is the thread for zeroing the Z axis:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3836

Page 1 of 3 123