586,096 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Keep trying

Page 2 of 3 123
    Yeh I had planed on putting the switches and also spindal controll (on/off via Mach).. I guess I need to do that soon, as I do leave the thing running on it's own most of the time now. Thanks for the push on getting that part done

Now I need to find a saleable use for the saw dust.
    Today at work (fixing cars) we were talking about the current burn ban here and I said it was a bummer I need to burn some saw dust.. My coworkers eyes lit up and said "you burn it?" I said yes the city garbage collectors don't like it in the trash cans (too much dust). He said he pays $3 per 30 gallon bag for it to use in his horse barn to soak up the pee. Ha... Now I have a sale for the dust

Seems you are one lucky rat, sale for saw, what will he sell next with that "little home built factory"?

Holy cow! Or horse. This just keeps getting better and better. I still hate you.

But I'll be watching for an IPO in Netjams, Inc. before you solve that pesky problem of cold fusion.

And here's a tip for that coworker. He should be collecting that pee and selling it to the pharmaceutical and fertilizer companies!

Steve in NM

I think horses are allergic to walnut(?) id double check just so you dont make your friends horses ill with bad dust.

~Steve

Thanks for the heads up on that, but I don't think walnut will be a wood I use anyway.

Crash and burn!

Not good! Yesterday I left my machine alone cutting bowles out while I ran to the store. When I returned I entered the garage to find it full of smoke and the router struggleing to keep rpms up. It appears I didn't put the bit in the collet correct (too short) and when the machine went to cut the bowl out it bottomed out and put the bit in a bind and was down hill from there, it broke the y and z loose from the gantry and was on it's way to china right through the table (thanks to the 2.25 horse router that don't stop. One minute later it would have been in flames and taken the entire garage with it. Damn that was close !!!!!!

:withstupi

Now that I'm faced with rebuild i'm going to fix some of the flaws I descovered, but because I use it for production it will be very simular to what I had and I won't EVER LET IT GO ALONE AGAIN>.

No I don't have pictures yet, but I will post them so others can see what a small mistake can do.

WOAH!

thank god you arrived when you did!

hmmm.. makes me want to get an on/off for my spindle that is run from the software so if anything trips a limit switch or something the spindle will shut down. even with just my laminate trimmer!

glad everything is pretty much OK, Id love to see some pics

~Steve

Yeah i know what you mean, it doesn't take much for wood under the heat of a router to start a fire, i had a situation with someone using my router "station" and was routing too fast or slow (can't remember), causing the dust to get too heated and start to smoke underneath, thing is i didn't see it, i smelt the smoke and had to search carefully through the dust/wood chips to find that bit of fire, to my surprise, after i found it, a few minutes afterwards i smelt smoke again, and found a bigger heap burning underneath in another area of the bits, can never be too careful, glad you caught it in time.

I have been trying to think of a switch is sencor that would have prevented this. The machine didn't go beyond it's limit, I screwed up on the limit. Maybe a load sensor on the spindal or steppers would have shut it down??

Quote Originally Posted by tajord View Post
    Yeah i know what you mean, it doesn't take much for wood under the heat of a router to start a fire, i had a situation with someone using my router "station" and was routing too fast or slow (can't remember), causing the dust to get too heated and start to smoke underneath, thing is i didn't see it, i smelt the smoke and had to search carefully through the dust/wood chips to find that bit of fire, to my surprise, after i found it, a few minutes afterwards i smelt smoke again, and found a bigger heap burning underneath in another area of the bits, can never be too careful, glad you caught it in time.

I have seen a simular thing with this machine... The bit was near red hot and everything was near full flame coming off the tebel. It's easy to get comfortable with things when all goes well, then you get lax and overlook a problem waiting to happen.

I do have far more respect for machines then I did the day before this happen. I never drempt the danger of it running on a hope it works ok.

Quote Originally Posted by srmaietta View Post
    WOAH!

thank god you arrived when you did!

hmmm.. makes me want to get an on/off for my spindle that is run from the software so if anything trips a limit switch or something the spindle will shut down. even with just my laminate trimmer!

glad everything is pretty much OK, Id love to see some pics

~Steve
    Steve,

In the next few day when I get time I will put things in place and show you pictures of it. I did kinda clean up the mess to rethink the rebuild and evaluate the situation. I'm still in shock I let this happen and also in shock I'm dead in the water on making more product..

well keep your chin up, lets get that baby back on the road, those bowls aren't gonna cut themselves, good luck.

Glad nothing got burned mate,

Hope you get it back and running soon

Just a thought if you're leaving it on it's own again... what about a smoke detector slaved to the power supply... would that be possible?

Just thinking out loud.

The amount of times I've pressed the big green button and walked away and regreted it a micro second later as the beast travels at full traverse (instead of 1 inch per min) and rams a diamond tool into the spindle causing hundreds of quids worth of damage and a headache.

Hope you get it going soon!

Just trying to cheer ya up mate
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Dear Netjam
    I am sorry, i cant see your face. Next time you should be also visible

Quote Originally Posted by sanjiv View Post
    Dear Netjam
    I will ask my son to hold the camera next time

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sanjiv View Post
    Dear Netjam
    Here you can see my face in this one

This is me on the news

Good stuff!

Thanks Walter

Well I have done a rebuild, sorry I didn't get pictures of the crash but I was so bummed I dropped the project for a short time. It's back into production and working great. I incorperated some of Joe's ideas to make it stronger. At this time I'm collecting parts off Ebay to build a new machine out of metal but till then this will have to do. I will post some pictures later tonight or tomarrow of the machine redone.

Page 2 of 3 123