586,307 active members*
3,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How to convert and recognize solids

How to convert and recognize solids

I converted a solidworks file, iges to mastercam and i cant toolpath off of solids. How do i convert it or put it into a recognizable solid so i can machine off of faces and edges? im using mastercam 8 and X thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I converted a solidworks file, iges to mastercam and i cant toolpath off of solids. How do i convert it or put it into a recognizable solid so i can machine off of faces and edges? im using mastercam 8 and X thanks
    In case we had to use STEP format... and once in a while had to use STL. Not sure if the CAD packages are not exporting well or if MC is not importing well. Best of luck.

It all depends if you have Solids on your Mastercam. It also depends on what Solid file your opening. A new SWorks 2006 file wont open in V8 Mastercam. V8 is about 6 years old know. If you can save it a s Parasolid V11 file, MCam V8 might open it.

To open it you go Files - Open - Parasolid

You can also create wire frame geometry from the IGES model. Create - Edges - all - surfaces. (I think)

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Create - Edges - all - surfaces. (I think)
    Create - Curves - all edges - all surfaces... (I think)

Haha thanks. Ill try it monday and by the way Mike the mastercam training videos were great im definately in for a raise.

Well if you outputted an Iges from SW then there is NO solid but surfaces to start with.
    What version of SW and which version are you bring it in to. V9 or VX and what versions of say V8 or VX (example 8.1 or VX MR2 or VX2)?

This makes a difference what can be brought in. and how we can help with your thought.
    Does your MasterCam have Solids option? In V8, this makes difference in VX it does and does not as you can still bring in a solid and cut it. (VX and higher only).
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks Matt. Your right on the money.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com