- I would like to join in the discussion here, or at least lurk and observe/learn -
--- I am in Oklahoma (rural central part) - Agriculture / Oilfield very prevalent
--- I have no experience with a lathe, but I sent my son to school to learn to run one. (I am pretty handy at figuring things out).
--- I have a metal fabrication shop - CNC Plasma, Waterjet, Bandsaws, Iron-Worker etc... (Family shop, me and my sons).
--- I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 (have used it some, not a lot).
--- My shop has 3 Phase power (480 volt /400 amp service).
--- I was raised in an agricultural environment (on a farm)
--- Educated in Electrical/Electronics
--- 30+ year career in I.T. / Automation (Still have an active successful IT company).
.................................................. .................................................. .................................

Recently, we have been making a product that requires several pieces of Pipe (Schedule 80 1"), End faced to be square, I.D. bored to 1.00" Cut to length (1.5) ... and other similar.

It is also very common to have someone call at an odd hour, or on a weekend with a broken / bent shaft from some farm machinery ... I have spent a good part of my life making these types of repairs with an Oxy/Acetylene torch, angle gringer, hammers, cheater bars etc.

I have been thinking lately I would like a lathe... I like to invent things, I also have random needs for parts made from one, and I think I could market the service a little (not high production). (and I really like cool toys).

I started looking at the Tormach lathe (reviews and videos), and that lead me here (and a few other threads). "sin arms" distress thread about "should have bought a tormach" was my first introduction to the FL300 ... I have read your thread here, and watched a few videos... The price tag appears to be at the upper edge of my toy budget, but not completely unreachable.

- I look forward to reading the details of other folks experience, and getting some good advice here!