586,075 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant for Aluminium

Hi All
    Any one know of a good Coolant for use in a lathe for cutting aluminium.
    Something that will not attack the aluminium (some do) and something that does not get too smelly and laden with bacteria.
    Nigel

ejdfast Guest
    try crisco believe it or not but once it heats up you will kill for a french frie

al coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_B View Post
    Hi All
    Something that will not attack the aluminium (some do) and something that does not get too smelly and laden with bacteria.
    Nigel
    Use Kero, or CRC from spray can.
    No guarantees on your lungs though!

We have regularly used Metho... we use a hand held pump sprayer. This was recommended to me by a long time Fitter & Turner. Excellent for Alum. Cools as well as lubricates. Mill and lathe

Don't use it on steel though... sparks tend to ignite metho...:banana:

cheers

Moondog

Here in the States we use a MasterChemical E206 and its the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO. But Its not cheap. We try to keep it mixed at 9-10%

It does not work on MAg or Iron though.

Quote Originally Posted by Verfur View Post
    Here in the States we use a MasterChemical E206 and its the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO. But Its not cheap. We try to keep it mixed at 9-10%
    It does not work on MAg or Iron though.
    And what does that stuff do for ur lungs?

Ah, its for machining not breathing. LOL

No problems tast great less filling kind of thing.

Acording to manufacture MDS sheet and the sales/ service guys it is safe to evevn drink in small quanitys. LOL The most reported side affect is skin irrant if you have skin problems.

This is a flood coolant though not a mist or vapor. Our machines are inclosed
    although when we run high spindle speeds and big chips you will defantly go home with a shop smell in cloths and hair.

We have bin running it for about two years now and I am very happy with it
    the last coolant we ran let the machine rust so we tried this one as it is very popular and better cutts and no rust leaves a nice film on table.

Seems to be fair in the stable part as well though I would keep it turned/stired ( a fish tank air pump works wonders) if you let it set. we use it daily without an air pump ion two machines no problem. The other machine somtimes sets for weeks- months and it can get a little smell, we will be installing an airator (fish pump) to stop this though.

P.S. the smell of fresh coolant has a sweet smell.

hope this helps

Aluminium Cutting Fluids - Smell Costs

Dromus-B (10~15% in water) is probably the best low-cost 'solution' we have ever found for sawing and general machining:

http://www.shell.com/static//ca-en/d...cants/3-11.pdf

.... BUT .... we 'concoct' various more dangerous/volatile mixtures of Kero+CRC/WD40 (for mist-lubrication while sanding/lynishing) or Kero+Rocol 15% (for deep-drilling & tapping) even although 'mixing' is not recommended by the maker.

There are some VERY expensive propritorary offerings which we reserve for critical jobs that justify its cost-of-use.

NOTE - it seems to be a native-property of cutting fluids to 'smell' - the smellier the more expensive (nuts)

As for bacteria - the world is full of it and some non-dangerous kinds do like soluble mineral oils/emulshons - some bacteria, like to emulate expensive cutting fluids, however, their smell is, as-yet, no-contest... :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_B View Post
    Hi All
    Nigel

I use WD40 and spray it as a mist.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Thanks for all the replies
    I am going to use a general purpose cutting fluid to start with.
    Not really sure whether I will be able to cope with wet swarf so I will try it first.
    If I am going to keep using coolant I will swap to a product called Alusol which is made especially for Aluminium but can be used as a general coolant.
    Reason for not trying it first is the cost, $200 for 20 Litres which is a bit expensive if I decide not to keep using it.

Hi Nigel

Just saw your post today. We use Morris Supercut for flood coolant but where we need good finish we use a squirty bottle with Castrol Ilocut 154 neat cutting oil. It beats any cutting fluid we have ever tried and exceptional finish. If you are in OZ, I'll try and post a sample if the post office will accept it.

Cheers Wallace
    New Zealand

The Castrol SW 3505 works very well with alloys, stainless steel and aluminum.
    We have that in all our machines.
    Keep it at 8-9% if you work with stainless steel..

Nigel,

Just use Kero in a spray bottle.

The wet swarf can be dealt with by lighting the swarf after you finish the machining.

Only kidding about lighting the swarf. Don't want to get the greenies in the site mad.

Hi Wallace
    Thanks for the offer but the product I am using is pretty good.
    Gives nice finish, doubles insert life (at least) and reduces cycle time when turning aluminium castings.
    Thanks to all who suggested the hand applied type of solution, WD 40 etc.
    This machine has factory fitted coolant which means it can be turned on and off in the program. I have been down the WD 40 path but it means standing at the machine to use it. I usually have 2 lathes running at the same time, sometimes 3 so I really need to be able to walk away and tend another machine.
    I am using a product called Sapon GM and it works really well.
    Good finish, low odour and very few marks when parts dry off.
    I can see no reason to use the more expensive product I spoke of earlier.
    Thanks to all of you
    Nigel