586,096 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Reload executive software

I have a mid 90's Bridgeport VMC 760 that I have been trying to get up and running with limited success. I was working on getting my post for virtual Gibbs up and running when I got a strange error that was orange and took up the screen it said.

" Incompatible software ver detected reload Executive software hit F9"

When I hit F9 I get

"Run time error m6101 math floating point error"

I hit ctrl alt del and rebooted the PC and the problem went away for 30 min now it is back and I can't get it to go away.

One of my problems is that I don't have any EXEC software for the machine and I am not sure where to even look.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Reason

Sounds as if you are losing communication with the BMDC. It is the biggest board plugged into your mother board. Pull it out (no need to pull the ribbon cables off but take note as to how they are plugged in just in case) and clean the edge connector with a soft eraser. Plug it back into the same ISA slot or another one, it does not matter.

With a machine of this age, check the logic power supply as well (voltage and fan). Check your CMOS settings. If the time and date are whacked out, your hard drive settings may be wrong as well. This would also mean the NICAD CMOS back up battery may be dead and leaking and may ruin your mother board.
    Check your air filter on the control cabinet. A clogged one will not allow proper control cooling.
    The executive is the BMDC.bin file. Do a scan disk and defrag after checking the CMOS. your hard drive may need to be nuked and reloaded.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile

Hello George

Sorry for the delayed response here, things have been a little crazy around the shop.

I just pulled the Motherboard out of the cabinet and checked all the ribbon cables, then I used a new eraser and thoroughly cleaned all of the flat contacts on both sides and then reseated the motherboard a couple of times to ensure good contact, then I checked all other connections in the cabinet and fired up the mill. The thing booted right up and the problem seems to be solved.

I am tempted to replace the NICAD battery just because I don't know the age of it, is there any tips on replacing it?

I also checked the air filter on the control cabinet and it is looking new and clean.

I also found that the processor fan was occasionally stopping so I replaced that as well.

Hopefully tomorrow I can play and get the thing to work long enough to get a post working so I can make some parts.

Thank you again for the help I really appreciate it

Reason

The nicad CMOS battery is soldered onto the mother board. It would need to be un-soldered and a new one soldered in.
    If you have the book on the mother board, consider a external lithium battery. It plugs into the mother board, a jumper is moved from INTERNAL to EXTERNAL battery. The original nicad still needs to be removed to prevent damage when it leaks. Make sure you know your CMOS settings.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)