586,116 active members*
3,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My cnc table

Page 2 of 6 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    I finally ordered my leveling feet for the table. They have 3/4 inch threads, and a 3 inch base.
    Did you get a good deal on them? Where did you buy them from?

DeviousMW

DeviousMW-

I paid $22.00 for each leveler, and I ordered them through Graingers. I ordered them on Tues. and they were here on Wed. Not too bad.

The only thing this I would have changed would be to order levelers with longer thread.

I welded a structural 3/4 nut on the insided of the channel, plus the width of the channel, then the the 1/4 inch plate, then the jam nut.

So after all the pieces were added together, I only had a little more than an inch of adjustment.

The good thing is my floor is level

Steve

When I first saw this I was like, 'how can someone put so much material into a table?!,' now I'm building my own and it would make your table look light-weight.

My ship finally came in! Actually it was more like a slow boat from Taiwan. My linear rails and bearings are here. Hopefully now we will start to make progress. I have posted a few pictures just as proof. J

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linear bearings.jpg   linear rail1.jpg   linear rain2.jpg  

wow, they took some time to deliver

what kind of rails did u use and how much did they cost?

what drivers/motors/software are u going to use?

looks like a great project.

After several weeks of nothing happening on the plasma cutter, my wife gave me a few hours on the weekend to work on it! J I have the 2 x 2 cold roll mounted and it is now time to mount the linear rail. I have 1 question though. Should I mount the joints for the linear rail at the same end of the table or should I stager the joints with 1 at each end?

I have attached a few pictures to show how the cold roll is attached to the table and the splice plate. I remove the splice plate so that I can re level the cold roll before I install the linear rails.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_015.jpg   IMAGE_016.jpg   IMAGE_017.jpg   IMAGE_018.jpg  

It shouldn't matter.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

My table is similiar to yours.

3 I beams spanning longidutinally. 4 hss holding each I beam up giving a total of 12 legs. Each leg has adjustable feet with swivelling capabilities by use of trailer ball hitches (cheap on ebay and looks beefy). The table has a waterbath but using 1/8" sheet (you dont need it to be too thick to hold the water). I used I beams so that I could mount linear shafts on the sides for the gantry to slide on. The table is a 12x6 allowing a cutting capacity of 10x5. The gantry is all aluminum to keep the wieght down as it is the part that moves. Shafts span laterally at both ends turning belts. 1 motor turns 1 shaft (headshaft) and the tailshaft is at the other end. My buddy and I choose this design as it keeps everything looking very clean. Very little wires, hoses etc will be visible. The only hoses and wires that will be seen is at the top where the plasma cutter and cutting torch mount. The Z axis is moveable for THC compatibility and has a double mount for both a oxy torch and plasma. I can mount a 12 inch high HSS or ibeam on top of my table and cut bolt holes or whatever on top as the z axis can move up high enough (which explains why the gantry is so high). The water bath walls is constructed of angle iron welded at all 4 corners to make a rectangular frame. This frame is then siliconed to the table and tightened down by drill, tapped and bolts. The electronics are all gecko / mach III based and were created by mike laws on this board. Pics at www.ubcustom.com/cnc . Good luck with your table and hopefully my buddy and my table can give you some ideas. Erik

WOW those are some thick slats! Did you get this table up and running?

Carbidecraters and Energyforce- My table is still a work in progress. It has just been too hot to work in the shop much. I do have the linear rails mounted, but that is about as far as I have gotten. I have more pictures to post once my DSL is fixed.

The next step is to make the support for the gantry.

Energyforce- I saw your plasma cutter last year, then it just seamed like you quit working on it. I am glad you are still working on it.

Steve

Just to let you know my DSL is still down, so I can't post my pictures.

I have been thinking about changing my set-up. Instead of building 1 large gantry to mount the plasma cutter, oxygen acetaline torch, and spindle on. How about a small gantry for the plasma, and a second larger gantry for the torch and the spindle?

The big question is if it is possible to program the machine to drill holes in the plate and then use the plasma to cut the shape out??

Steve

Hi

Have to say nice work , and very heavy duty machine , keep up the good work

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    Just to let you know my DSL is still down, so I can't post my pictures.

I have been thinking about changing my set-up. Instead of building 1 large gantry to mount the plasma cutter, oxygen acetaline torch, and spindle on. How about a small gantry for the plasma, and a second larger gantry for the torch and the spindle?

The big question is if it is possible to program the machine to drill holes in the plate and then use the plasma to cut the shape out??

Steve
    Hmm. I don't know if you could do it with Mach, unless you were wanting to do a bunch of cable swapping in the middle of every job.
    A 5 or 6 axis controller could do it, though.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Well it is finally time to start working on the gantry for my table. I have to choose between several different sizes of tube to use. I have 2x4 with 3/8 wall thickness, 4 x 4 with 1/8 wall, or 6x6 with 5/16 wall. any suggestions? I am leaning on the 6x6 so that 3 have enough room to mount the rails and the Igus cable bearer.Steve

Nice build!

On the gantry - one time-honored rule in machine building is if the part doesn't move, make it heavy. If it does move, keep it light.

Since this is a plasma cutter, your forces are going to be next to nothing - I would suggest going light for the gantry. Even 6X6x5/16 seems a bit heavy for it's intended purpose.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Seeing the table flipped over makes it look like the meanest pool table ever. Haha. Very nice work, I'll definately be keeping my eye on this thread.

Hi everyone-

It has been a while since I have worked on my plasma table. I finally have the linear rails installed and squared. I have also painted, sealed the inside of the water table and filled it with water. Zero Leaks!!!!

I am going to finish the painting, and then start designing the gantry.

If anyone has any ideas, I would like to hear them.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_028.jpg   IMAGE_027.jpg  

Very nice. I can't wait to see the completed table. It took me two test fills ,on my water table, before I got all of my welds leak free.

Wow. Your project looks awesome. What are you planning to cut and make with it when you're done?

Page 2 of 6 1234