586,116 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > More power from switching power supply

More power from switching power supply

Does anyone here know how I can get more power out of a switching power supply. Can you replace the transistors with larger ones or can I increase the duty cycle for the transistors. Anyone have any ideas please share them. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by R.thayer View Post
    Does anyone here know how I can get more power out of a switching power supply. Can you replace the transistors with larger ones or can I increase the duty cycle for the transistors. Anyone have any ideas please share them. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you very soon.

No, replacing the transistors is not going to improve it. You will have to use a different transformer otherwise you are going to increase core losses and the core temperature will rise. You will need to make some changes to the current feedback circuit. It all depends on the type of switching power supply. Do you have any schematics?

Tivo box power supply

The power supply is out of a tivo directv reciever. Can I get more current out of the power supply without replacing the transformer. Can I increase the freqency that feeds the transformer to get more power.

Quote Originally Posted by R.thayer View Post
    The power supply is out of a tivo directv reciever. Can I get more current out of the power supply without replacing the transformer. Can I increase the freqency that feeds the transformer to get more power.
    No, increasing the current is the same as increasing power. There should be an over-current protection. you can't override it or it is going to smoke. Switching power supply design is a lot more difficult than linear power supply design.

If you had the schematics, (which I doubt, because most of the manufacturers don't publish them) You could have done do some customization, like re-wind the transformer for only one output voltage, and gain some extra power after a few changes to the voltage and current feedback circuit. But, a tivo power supply will never supply much power for anything CNC related.

This is akin to rewiring your old TV to get HDTV.

First you start by taking all of the components off the boards and throw them in a big box. Now put all new components on the cards. Turn it on. When it fails to work add the boards to the big box of components and set it out for the trashman on Thursday.

Use the cabinet for a fish tank.