586,082 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > 4-Axis CAM and Tool Path Problem

4-Axis CAM and Tool Path Problem

I have been playing with several CAM demos, including RhinoCAM, Rams 3D Gold, MadCAM, MeshCAM, etc. The ones that are able to generate 4-axis G-code seem to be limited to two basic tool paths; either perpendicular to the X-axis, i.e., circumferentially as the 4th-axis rotates, or parallel to it (more like indexed movements of the 4th-axis).

The part I need to mill would be more efficiently created if the cutter movement, for a given Z-axis depth, was largely along the X-axis, but was synchronized with small, continuous movements in the 4th-axis. The two paths described in the paragraph above create far too much up and down movement of the Z-axis.

Do any of the CAM programs with 4-axis capabilities offer such an alternative tool path?

Thanks.

Try Latest Edgecam...

Dear Skibbey,
    Try the LATEST version of edgecam it features various options and cycles.
    Hope it may help your job. check the image attached
    thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00067.jpg  

Skibbey,
    What you described sounds like what a friend does with pool cue inlays. This can be done with Bobcad it just takes getting used to. Can you post a cad file or a picture of what you want and I will try to help?
    Cutmore

Image of Part for 4-axis Tool Path

I appreciate the reply, and have uploaded an image of the part. It's worth noting that the blades were extruded normal to the surface of the core, which is why a 4-axis tool path should be sufficient.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helical Water.jpg  

Skibbey,
    I will play with this when I have some time, either later today or tonight and let you know how it comes out. What Type of post do you use? I will try & post some code for you too.
    Cutmore

Skibbey,
    Here is a link to a video with narration, I made doing this in OneCNC..with 4 axis wrap..took about 10 minutes..

http://64.26.25.102/wms/4axis_wrap_cnczone_wms.wmv
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's exactly what I was envisioning, and thinking of the "pockets" between the blades rather than of the blades themselves is a creative way of simplifying the task.

I'll definitely have to check out the software.

Thanks!