510,078 active members
2,771 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > South Bend Machinery > Help with South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Registered

Help with South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe

I have a South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe that I want to get up and running. I have split off the single phase computer components and am running the 3 phase components from a rotary converter. I can get the fans to run, but nothing comes-up on the screen. I have tried a different monitor and it seems that I am not getting anything to the monitor. I can hold-in the magnetic contactor and get the blower and hydraulic pump to run. Does anyone know anything about these lathes? How about somebody that I can talk to? I don't want to have to pay BIG BUCKS for a service guy, but if I have to then I will. How about a retro-fit?

Thanks,

Scott

Gold Member
    Hi, Do you still have your magnaturn lathe?

Registered
    Yes, I do still have the lathe.

Thanks,

Scott

Gold Member
    Hi, I was wondering how the project come out. Did you do a retrofit? I have a
    Magnaturn 612. I was hoping for pictures posted of you machine. I have mine posted under MechMan.

Registered
    What model is it?
    We run them here.
    Jim

Gold Member

Red face

Hi, I have the Magnaturn 612. It was designed to be run from 115 VAC single phase from day one. I would think setting your up to do the same would be fairly easy. The real question is was yours complete? I ended up having to purchase the PC Card and software from Southbend. Not Cheap. There is one other thing I need to purchase for mine that will have to wait until I have the funds. They offer an additional program called Ultrapath that requires a printer dongle to unlock. This program provides the toolpath graphics. Big drawback to my machine is there is little tooling available. You can see mine in my gallery. I was one of the top posters if you go to the gallery page. :violin:

Registered
    We use 1218's in production turning with barfeeds.
    A couple of the machines even have Ultrapath, though nobody here has bothered to learn a new CAM package that is limited to one brand of lathe.
    We usually program off-line in either MasterCam or straight G-code and use a
    utility that came with the machines to upload the ASCII files into their own language.
    South Bend talks about importing a Taiwanese machine to get back into CNC, not realizing that users like us will just buy Taiwan machines directly from the Taiwanese if we wanted them.
    Sadly South Bend, like what little else remains from the American machine tool industry, survives by overcharging for spare parts.

Registered
    Can you sell a copy of the magnaturn 612 software call me at 915-694-5898 or put the phone number an I call you

Registered
    do you sell a copy of the software for a 612

Registered

S B 612

guys, I don't know anything about the control, but was looking at the Centroid web site and thay had retrofitted one and thay spoke very highly of it, don't know the price of the retrofit. www.centroidcnc.com

Gold Member
    Your right, it's sad considering CNC technology was developed in the United States. If you ever decide to sell one of the Ultrapath printer port dongles let me know. I would be interested. I'm proud of my little machine. It so rare that you find American CNC Iron. MechMan

Registered
    I replaced the computer with an old 286 that I had and the machine runs. I have two other CNC lathes and have not put the time into learning the South Bends Ultrapath. I did hear of writting standard G-code and sending it to the machine, but have not tried it.

Thanks,

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123