586,389 active members*
3,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 24 8910111220
    ericks Guest

Re: CNC router build

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Right. 1/4" end mills aren't too bad, but still sting a little.
    Anytime I break a tool, it's generally my fault.
    Total damage $130 yes i have broken my share, but usually the small ones....the collet is actually a new one i ordered to use with these endmills

ericks Guest

Started milling the second extrusion today....can't wait to have the frame bolted together

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foot9.jpg   extr3.jpg  

That electronics enclosure is a thing of beauty, I hope I can make mine half as good!

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    That electronics enclosure is a thing of beauty, I hope I can make mine half as good!
    Thank you.....it still has to pass the "noise" test though

ericks Guest

Frame extrusion's milling almost complete. Started tapping holes as well. Hope to assemble part of the frame by Monday.....it's exciting to make a bit of progress finally

ericks Guest

Some progress today.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frame7.jpg  

Love the floral pattern bench top

In all seriousness though this looks like it's coming along really well!

I may have missed it but what are you currently using to machine the aluminium parts? Is it CNC as well?

ericks Guest

Love the floral pattern bench top

In all seriousness though this looks like it's coming along really well!

I may have missed it but what are you currently using to machine the aluminium parts? Is it CNC as well?
    Thanks i might do a similar floral on the floor If you look to the right on one of the pic's you will see the little 6040 cnc router....this is the one i use for all my milling jobs.
    It's got a few rusty covers but that's thanks to the Chinese supplier. At the moment i am considering if i should mill all the other aluminium parts or have them done elsewhere. Most will be out of 25 mm plate, they obviously take a while on my little machine.

ericks Guest

Another problem i have is my planning. I have terrible cad skills....so instead of drawing the complete design i have been doing bits and pieces, resulting in a couple of problems. Now i have to try and work around them

ericks Guest

Guys i need some advise from the experts please....i need to choose a spindle motor, i have narrowed it down to the following:

1.5 KW / 300HZ / 2POLE / 18000 RPM / 220 V / 6,3 A / 7,4 KG
    2.0 KW / 300HZ / 2POLE / 18000 RPM / 220 V / 9,0 A / 7,4 KG
    2.0 KW / 400HZ / 2POLE / 24000 RPM / 220 V / 9,0 A / 7,4 KG

Which one would you guys recommend for my machine??
    Milling timber, plastic and aluminium

Thank you very much

I'd go for the 2kw 18,000 rpm one. Doing aluminium you'll want lower speeds and 18k is probably enough for most timber and plastic jobs. I'd imagine it would have more torque than the 24,000 rpm version.

I'd go for the 2kw 18,000 rpm one. Doing aluminium you'll want lower speeds and 18k is probably enough for most timber and plastic jobs. I'd imagine it would have more torque than the 24,000 rpm version.
    It would depend on if these spindles are air cooled or water cooled, if air cooled they can't run as slow as the water cooled without over heating
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Thanks guys .....they air cooled but not Chinese. No problem using forced cooling if required

Do you have torque curves for them? I'd go for the one with the most torque (which is probably the 2kW, 18kRPM one as others mentioned,) but if the max torque is the same, the extra RPM's will come in useful for smaller tools, especially on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Thanks guys .....they air cooled but not Chinese. No problem using forced cooling if required
    It would make not difference if you have forced air or not all manufacturers have a minimum speed they can run at this you need to check, some have an independent fan these can normally run slower than the spindles motors that have a built in fan mounted on the spindle rotor
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Not much to report on the build. I ordered all the carriages and rails .....wow they so expensive Also contacted a machining company....i might get them to machine all the aluminium parts.

Hello,

I find this forum and it looks very interesting for me. A also build mine CNC router. You can find more details on page (sorry page is in Serbian, but photos and videos will be illustrative):
    CNC glodalica R-1 - Audiohms

Waiting for your comments.

Regards,
    Petar

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by e-motion View Post
    Hello,

I find this forum and it looks very interesting for me. A also build mine CNC router. You can find more details on page (sorry page is in Serbian, but photos and videos will be illustrative):
    CNC glodalica R-1 - Audiohms

Waiting for your comments.

Regards,
    Petar
    Petar....i like the way you did your build! Thanks for sharing, the way you did your control panel is both very neat and practical

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Petar....i like the way you did your build! Thanks for sharing, the way you did your control panel is both very neat and practical
    Thank you Ericks for your comment,

Actually I build this router based on my ideas how does it need to be. This router is used for testing of new features of our control electronics. So this router is completely our design (I do it with one my friend), from mechanical design to electronics.

ericks Guest

Well you guys are doing really great work

Page 10 of 24 8910111220