586,094 active members*
3,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc serial interface

Hi, does anyone have documentation on the Fanuc serial interface 2 to plug in a linear scale encoder. Protocol Is that the RS232?

Re: Fanuc serial interface

Quote Originally Posted by Shukman View Post
    Hi, does anyone have documentation on the Fanuc serial interface 2 to plug in a linear scale encoder. Protocol Is that the RS232?
    I'm familiar with the serial interface 1, its a proprietary RS-422 (separate TX and RX differential pairs) interface with a outgoing request pulse and 77 incoming bits of data with 5 CRC bits at a 1.024 mbits/sec

Pretty sure the type 2 interface is RS-485 (single differential pair for TX and RX) at a 2.048 mbits/sec rate but have not made an interface for it yet so not sure

Hi
    Why are you going for RS232C, I have a better option to skip this. I have a device where you can connect usb pen drive to machine. With this device you can transfer and received data like program, parameters, tool data etc... The device is very compact and user-friendly. It has 4 gb internal memory to store or run the program up to 4 gb. It has 2.5" Lcd screen.
    For more details please visit@
    protecdncsystems.com

Sent from my vivo Y27L using Tapatalk

Hi
    Why are you going for RS232C, I have a better option to skip this. I have a device where you can connect usb pen drive to machine. With this device you can transfer and received data like program, parameters, tool data etc... The device is very compact and user-friendly. It has 4 gb internal memory to store or run the program up to 4 gb. It has 2.5" Lcd screen.
    For more details please visit@
    protecdncsystems.com

Sent from my vivo Y27L using Tapatalk

I have found an information on the interface in the documentation for the encoders. How can I generate a request signal. What is the data transfer rate of the interface and the number of data bits. Are there any start bits, parity bits, and stop bits in the request?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	367946
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prim.gif 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	367948

As I said for type1 the data rate is 1.024 mbits/second, the number of bits is 77 (including 5 CRC bits)
    so its not like a standard 8 bit Async serial data stream at all.

for type 1 the request is just a single pulse, Not sure about type2 except type 2 is half duplex (single pair)

Which Fanuc controller do you have? Fanuc has desinated connectors in the controller to talk to these scales. You have to set a parameter bit in the controller before the controller can look at the scale.