Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
The USB drive port only takes eight by three file names, and the files need to be from the software so the machine can run directly from that file. So install the software, do a simple program in LaserCad or whatever the software is that comes with the machine. Then Save As a 8.3 file format to the USB drive.
I figured out that I wasn't copying the .rd file to the USB, just the .rdl. With that problem solved there was no problem reading the files from the USB. Like you said, the laser only uses 8.3 file naming so the longer file names got truncated and and if beginning of the names was the same it put a number in the name. Still getting used to the laser keyboard but it is fairly simple although I haven't explored all the options yet.

I also tried importing a .dxf file from BobCad into LaserWorks and this initiated my first call to Boss Laser support. The file was for a plastic cover about 1.5x1.75 with 3 small holes in the top two corners. The laser appeared to only cut the upper left hole only even though the pattern was showing on the screen correctly. The help guys determined that the configuration setting for DXF import was set to mm so the 'hole' that it was cutting was the entire object. Once that was fixed I was able to cut the cover and it was a perfect fit.

Moving the machine to the basement also gave me an opportunity to see how well built the frame was. There is no looseness to the equipment body, very rigid and put together well. The wiring is neat and appears to be very good for the unit. The laser tube is well protected. Auto focus works well and the gantry moves very quickly. I cut a 5" Aztec Calendar using the engraving option, I was amazed at the level of detail that came out even using some cheap poplar wood that I picked up.

It was because of things like this that I was willing to pay extra and chose the Boss Laser for customer support.