586,042 active members*
3,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > narex on a Kwik switch 200 ?

narex on a Kwik switch 200 ?

I'm running a job and just found out that my boring head will not go large enough. I have a narex boring head but it needs a kwik switch 200 arbor to fit my machine. Does anyone know of such an animal. If that is not possible can anyone tell me the best way to bore a brg. dia. with an end mill on a cnc supermax mill? .0004 is my tolerance 0n a 3.146 bore? Thanks!

I could be wrong but I don't think I'd want to attempt to circular interpolate a .0004" bearing bore tolerance. Think about roundness, size and bore taper due to cutter deflection. If this job has any volume to it, you should get a holder. If low volume or low repeat, I'd make up a boring bar that's adjustable with a screw and set it with a high accuracy (.00005") dial indicator.

Or get a relatively inexpensive Critereon boring head that will hold tolerance.
    DZASTR

Tom, Does your narex have a 7/8 thread where the shank screws into the body? If so, there are some kwick switch 20 adaptors on the internet.
    DZASTR

Richard,
    The narex has a (4) four bolt pattern on the shank for a morse taper adapter. I've looked in the narex book and don't see a listing for the kwik switch shank but I thought I might not be the only one out there trying to do this. You think the circular interpolation is out because of roundness? I'm working with 6061-T6 al. and the bores are at the top of the peice only about .551 dp. There is only a dozen peices (this was a test run of 200) and this was to be my last operation. Bummer. I quess I'll have to indicate them in my lathe and bore them.

Tom,

Maybe you can get a quickswitch facemill holder, and make an adapter plate to bolt the narex to the facemill holder.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Tom, Assuming there is enough room between your spindle nose and the workpiece, I'd still make up an adaptor. How about a 4-bolt face to fit narex w/straight shank to fit collet chuck/kwick switch 200? If thats too much, how about a small indexable lathe tool attached like an adjustable fly cutter? I've done that buko times. Especialy for a 200 pc. job.
    DZASTR

It still has to be done

Thanks guys for the Ideas. In my befuddlement over the boring head not working I really lost sight of "getting the job done". Your right; there are many ways to accomplish the objective. I'm usually the guy saying "if you don't have what you need, use what you got"! Thanks for the reality check!
    TOM