Hi guys,

Tom here, I'm 22, Aussie and new to CNCzone. I'm a 4th year mechatronics engineering student, grew up on a farm and been sticking things together with a mig since I could walk. We've got fairly decent workshop as my father is a boiler maker by trade and we're always making/repairing farm equipment. Anyway I've always wanted a CNC plasma and I had the spare cash so I got to work buying parts.

Fast forward a few months, plenty of late nights and its up and running, works as well as I'd hoped. Mach 3/Smooth Stepper Control, NEMA34 steppers and 06B chain drive on X & Y axes. Linear guides I've manufactured from 5mm flat and machined square groove rollers. It was never built for super duper accuracy, more so a tough, reliable and cheap. It's got a resolution of 0.7mm and positioning accuracy fairly close to that. MINITHC for height control. Cost me just under $4000 excluding the plasma source. Running a 60A Chinese source, organizing a unimig razorcut 45 as I'm limited to single-phase.

In the future, I'd like to add a rotational axis and set up for oxy-fuel cutting. Any advice/feedback is appreciated. Happy to answer any questions or post more photos.

Cheers,
Tom

https://www.facebook.com/tommcc21/vi...12991758738912