586,076 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Machine DIY 2 x 4 Build List - Feedback Needed

Question CNC Machine DIY 2 x 4 Build List - Feedback Needed

CNC Machine DIY 2 x 4 ( gantry 3030 ) - $1975.00
    CRP2448 2' x 4' CNC Router Kit | CNCRouterParts
    NOTE: Seems like a good starter kit should i upgrade to the 3060 Gantry for +$195? and why?

Router:
    Hitachi M12VC: $119.00
    Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable-Speed Router - Fixed Base Power Routers - Amazon.com
    NOTE: Seems to the be the standard is there a BIT set that is a good starter set to buy?

Router Mount: $92.75
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/hitach...unt-p-156.html
    NOTE: Works with existing table unless can find cheaper elsewhere

Bosch 1618 Precision Grade Collet Kit - $127.95
    http://www.precisebits.com/products/...618!!!KIT!!!PG!!!
    contains 1/8in. , 1/4in. & 1/2in. PG collets, collet nut, spanner wrench and 118 ml of ColletCare) - BOPG-1618-842KIT
    NOTE: Seems to the be the standard

4-Axis DIY Nema 23 Electronics Kit (Stepper Motors) + : $665.00
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/4-axis....html?cPath=22
    NOTE: Can anyone recommend a USB kit so i can use a laptop with the cnc router? or a better kit with better motors for around the same price or worth the money to upgrade?

Cable Track KIT $199.00
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/comple...kit-p-128.html
    NOTE: open to a better kit as well?

Dust shoe: $134.95
    http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/products/9...dust-shoe.aspx
    NOTE: Seems to the be the standard

Hitachi Exhaust Deflector: $12.95http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/products/1...deflector.aspx

Dust collecter: $209.99
    http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...tor-97869.html
    NOTE: Seems to the be the cheap standard

TOTAL HARDWARE: $3536.59 ( shipping not included )

Mach 3 software: $175.00
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/mach3-...are-p-165.html
    NOTE: to run the CNC router

VCarve Pro CAM Software: $599
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/vcarve...are-p-211.html
    NOTE: To important Illustrator CS2014 [I assume .DXF files ) and convert them to Mach 3 use (They offer discount if i’m ordering other stuff from them) BUT I am open to cheaper CAM software alternatives?

Total Cost: $4310.59 ( not including shipping )

Am I missing anything in this build list? Also Can I buy a complete system for around this price of the same quality? or will this beat lets say the Rockler Shark system?

Mounting: I was thinking of just mounting it onto some work bench table system where below it can have drawers or maybe on wheels that lock as well? Pros/Cons?

THANKS!

Re: CNC Machine DIY 2 x 4 Build List - Feedback Needed

NOTE: Seems like a good starter kit should i upgrade to the 3060 Gantry for +$195? and why?
    You can't make a machine too rigid. And it only adds 5% to the total cost. I'd do it.

NOTE: Seems to the be the standard is there a BIT set that is a good starter set to buy?
    I always recommend buying bits as you need them. When you buy sets, you never use some of the bits in the set.

Hitachi Exhaust Deflector: $12.95
    I'm not a fan of exhaust deflectors. If you have a good shoe and dust collection, then air blowing down is a good thing, as it can blow chips out of the cut, and help to get chips airborne where they can be sucked up easier.
    It's important that the brushes on your shoe are lower than the bit for dust collection to work well.

Dust collecter: $209.99
    Glad I got mine when I did, for $139.
    NOTE: To important Illustrator CS2014 [I assume .DXF files ) and convert them to Mach 3 use (They offer discount if i’m ordering other stuff from them) BUT I am open to cheaper CAM software alternatives?
    You can't go wrong with V Carve Pro. You can save money, but you'll end up with either less functionality, or a more complex workflow.

You probably want to export .ai or eps rather than .dxf, but you'll have to experiment to see which works best.

Am I missing anything in this build list? Also Can I buy a complete system for around this price of the same quality? or will this beat lets say the Rockler Shark system?
    This should be far superior to a Shark. If you look around, you can find a lot of former Shark owners who weren't happy with it's lack of rigidity.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

NOTE: Can anyone recommend a USB kit so i can use a laptop with the cnc router?

CNCdrive - motion controls

Home
    The ethernet Smoothstepper is a better choice than the USB version, due to better noise immunity.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Home
    The ethernet Smoothstepper is a better choice than the USB version, due to better noise immunity.
    Ahh very cool! I didn't know they could run via ethernet port thats awesome. Then that solves that thank you!

Ok so the more I look into this should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and buy this system or is it overkill for my needs: $2,725.00
    4-Axis Plug and Play Nema 34 System | CNCRouterParts

Or can i build it for significantly cheaper or buy it for cheaper elsewhere? Or is this over kill for my needs at this point?

Also How much space will the 2x4 machine take over all I really might try to get a 4x4 machine if I can squeeze it into my space has anyone played with repurposing the top of the CNC router when not in use or a folding table? ( im sure that would kill an rigidity but just had to ask )

thanks!

Or can i build it for significantly cheaper or buy it for cheaper elsewhere? Or is this over kill for my needs at this point?
    Yes, you can always do it yourself for less money, but how much is your time worth? Don't be surprised if it takes quite a few days to assemble and wire something like that.

What exactly are your needs? What will you be using the machine for?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Yes, you can always do it yourself for less money, but how much is your time worth? Don't be surprised if it takes quite a few days to assemble and wire something like that.

What exactly are your needs? What will you be using the machine for?
    Ahh yes ye age old question I should probably go with the prebuilt box it looks pretty solid. Also I will be cutting mostly just 2D stuff out of PVC, Wood, carbon fiber sheet and maybe some aluminum. Will the items I picked work ok for those materials?

Side NOTE
    Does anyone have the length and width that each CNC machine will take up the 2x4 4x4 and 4x8 from cncrouterparts.com Im getting into a new house and wanting to figure out what sort of space i have for the beast!

Nice lists! However you did not mention intended usage. It is actually a big factor as to what is suitable.

Right off the bat though my personal opinion is that $2000 is a lot to pay for a frame that doesn't use profile rails or at least round supported shafting. One could argue though that this approach might work better in an extremely dusty environment.

Some of the stuff listed you can do yourself or do later. For example a dust shroud is a good first project to learn your software and tune your machine up. Also there was zero mention of wiring and miscellaneous parts which can add up. For example wire suitable for running through drag chains, E-stop buttons, relays and other components including a controls cabinet to put everything in. As for E-Stops don't skimp, use quality devices and have enough that the work area is properly covered.

Quote Originally Posted by jtpint View Post
    Ahh yes ye age old question I should probably go with the prebuilt box it looks pretty solid.
    A ready to go kit or not is up to you! You can save money going DIY in many cases but there is a trade off between costs and time. It isn't just construction time either, it is far more work to locate everything. That said if you have experience or skill to build machinery, I'm assuming you do as you are tackling a kit, then you need to consider that you will get a better machine or lower cost one going DIY.
    Also I will be cutting mostly just 2D stuff out of PVC, Wood, carbon fiber sheet and maybe some aluminum. Will the items I picked work ok for those materials?
    The phrase it depends often comes into play here. I would not recommend this machine for aluminum work. It may give you the results you want in sheet metal though.

Side NOTE
    Does anyone have the length and width that each CNC machine will take up the 2x4 4x4 and 4x8 from cncrouterparts.com Im getting into a new house and wanting to figure out what sort of space i have for the beast!
    Ahh space planning! I thought I saw the dimensions on CNC Router parts web site. In any event the bigger the macHine is the more space you will need for material handling. This is especially the case if you expect to do full size sheets of whatever.

Ok so here is my garage layout its a 3 car tandem garage and I was going to use the 3rd tandem part to put my little shop in. I have decided to go with the 4x4 ( even though the 4x8 could fit...... grr) So what do you guys think? any help config would be appreciated! And do I have any redundant tools not that I will be getting a CNC router? Ive always thought a good mitre saw with longer fence is a must for quickly cutting long thin wood and a table saw is well a table saw
    Attachment 245168
    Attachment 245170

So what do you guys think? any help config would be appreciated!
    Leave the cars in the driveway so they wont get covered in dust, and you will have a nice size shop...LOL

the 4x4 can always be expanded later to 4x8 for not a huge amount.
    Looke like a decent layout fo the shop. But you may want to arrange the router with the gantry moving too and from the wall, that will actually stick out into the walk area less then the current arrangement.

The dust collector looks real close, the hoses need space to turn around. It also looks like loading material onto the CNC may be tough with that table saw so close. I'd ditch the cars and spread out a bit.

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked31 View Post
    The dust collector looks real close, the hoses need space to turn around. It also looks like loading material onto the CNC may be tough with that table saw so close. I'd ditch the cars and spread out a bit.

The table saw has wheels and can be moved so if i need more room I can just move it. Yea i was thinking I might need a tad more room. I cant ditch the cars they have to be there most of the time. Any problems with putting the CNC machine on wheels?

There are lot's of people with wheels on their machines, I don't see a problem with it...

Ok so here is my garage layout its a 3 car tandem garage and I was going to use the 3rd tandem part to put my little shop in. I have decided to go with the 4x4 ( even though the 4x8 could fit...... grr) So what do you guys think? any help config would be appreciated! And do I have any redundant tools not that I will be getting a CNC router? Ive always thought a good mitre saw with longer fence is a must for quickly cutting long thin wood and a table saw is well a table saw
    Move the router so that it is just in front of a properly parked car. This will free up a lot of space in that corner that would be used less than optimally with the router in that location. When you need to use the router park the car outside if needed. The big issue I stll have is the handling of sheet goods, even half sheet panels are a pain so you want clear and easy access to the router.

As for redundant tools, there is no such thing really! Given that a CNC router can be made to do the job of other tools with good programming or interesting fixtures. That won't always be optimal use of the router though. The trick is to buy the tools that fit your interests. Personally I've gotten by for a long time without a table saw but the desire to have one is still there.

In a compact shop it pays to think a bit about layout and design. For example a CNC router table could double as an out feed table for a table or band saw. With thought it could also be a conventional router table.

The table saw has wheels and can be moved so if i need more room I can just move it. Yea i was thinking I might need a tad more room. I cant ditch the cars they have to be there most of the time. Any problems with putting the CNC machine on wheels?
    That would depend upon the floor. If the machine ends up twisted due to an uneven floor you might have trouble. In part you can deal with that by using leveling jacks. You would need jack screws anyways or really good brakes on the wheels to keep the machine from walking.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Move the router so that it is just in front of a properly parked car. This will free up a lot of space in that corner that would be used less than optimally with the router in that location. When you need to use the router park the car outside if needed. The big issue I stll have is the handling of sheet goods, even half sheet panels are a pain so you want clear and easy access to the router.

As for redundant tools, there is no such thing really! Given that a CNC router can be made to do the job of other tools with good programming or interesting fixtures. That won't always be optimal use of the router though. The trick is to buy the tools that fit your interests. Personally I've gotten by for a long time without a table saw but the desire to have one is still there.

In a compact shop it pays to think a bit about layout and design. For example a CNC router table could double as an out feed table for a table or band saw. With thought it could also be a conventional router table.
    PERFECT! I was going to ask if the router table could also double as a feeder table.... that would save space as well. Here is a little screen shot of your idea wizard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-11 03.10.22.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	245246

PERFECT! I was going to ask if the router table could also double as a feeder table.... that would save space as well. Here is a little screen shot of your idea wizard
    Nice!

It looks like you will have plenty of room around the machine. Witha table saw on wheels you should be able to reconfigure for many uses quickly.

The store's layout seems to be satisfactory. However, instead of having the gantry protrude as far into the walk area as before, you may want to rearrange the router such that it moves in tandem with the wall.