586,119 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

8020 Router, It's Finally Alive!

Well finally after 4 months of hour here and hour there work it's alive!

Size

X = 42"
    Y = 26"
    Z = 16"

I don't honestly know what size cutting area I ended up with and I haven't had the chance to measure the final size.

Total Build Cost $1400 including router.

Parts Used

THK, IKO Rails - Used from EBay
    8020 - Surplus from EBay
    Anti-backlash nuts - DumpsterCNC
    Solid delrin couplers - DumpsterCNC
    1/2-10 TPI Acme Threaded Rod - Enco
    Nema35 motor mounts - EBay
    280oz/in Nema35 Steppers - Kelinginc
    G201 Geckodrives - EBay
    Hitachi Router Mount - K2CNC
    M12VC Hitachi Router - Lowes
    PMDX Breakout Board - PMDX

I'm still in the process of aligning and tuning but i've had it cutting and so far it looks great.

First Cut Video

Second Cut Video

Great job!!

Hmm.. Something looks wrong on the Z or is it just the way it looks in the picture, but the router goes up and down but the mount (y) stays down and you don't have any clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjams View Post
    Hmm.. Something looks wrong on the Z or is it just the way it looks in the picture, but the router goes up and down but the mount (y) stays down and you don't have any clearance.

lol I know, I had only about 1" of clearance in the pictures. But since moved it up.

Netjams: I also noticed that about z axis.

Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed photo's of your z axis, I am just designing one here and the detail is very useful. Thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcrockford View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed photo's of your z axis, I am just designing one here and the detail is very useful. Thanks

Bob

Your welcome

Thats the only hard part when you design something from scratch, helps to have a little guidance.

Looks really slick. Would like to see vids when you get it running!

Great machine. Thanks for share.

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Looks really slick. Would like to see vids when you get it running!

Thanks!

I had posted some videos right above the first picture, I will be adding some more once I get the hang of the machine. I'm really struggling right now with tool and table offsets so once I get that figured out i'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdillin View Post
    Thanks!

I had posted some videos right above the first picture, I will be adding some more once I get the hang of the machine. I'm really struggling right now with tool and table offsets so once I get that figured out i'll be golden.

Looks really nice, sorry I missed that link, was tired when I first replied. Router looks familiar :rainfro: if only CNCZone had a deal worked with Hitachi, I think like half the members here with DIY routers used that router as their spindle. If you need help with setting up work offsets and figuring things out let me know, maybe I can help you. We have all been there, and even though mach3 is very simple and easy to use, there is still much to figure out in general about how you want to work your machine. I started with throwing the stuff in the middle and zeroing on the piece and now I figured out the best way to optimize my machine just with experience. Send me a PM if you need any help, I believe you are using mach3 because I saw you cutting what looked like the roadrunner gcode file.

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Looks really nice, sorry I missed that link, was tired when I first replied. Router looks familiar :rainfro: if only CNCZone had a deal worked with Hitachi, I think like half the members here with DIY routers used that router as their spindle. If you need help with setting up work offsets and figuring things out let me know, maybe I can help you. We have all been there, and even though mach3 is very simple and easy to use, there is still much to figure out in general about how you want to work your machine. I started with throwing the stuff in the middle and zeroing on the piece and now I figured out the best way to optimize my machine just with experience. Send me a PM if you need any help, I believe you are using mach3 because I saw you cutting what looked like the roadrunner gcode file.

:lol: Yeah it's almost a no brainer being that the router is only $100 from lowes and the mount is only $50 from K2 makes for a very simple and easy spindle.

I'll send you a PM because at this point I have the X and Y offsets figured out no problem. It's the Z axis that is giving me the major headache.

Thanks!

It does look like you did a really good job building it.

It does look like you did a really good job building it.
    Thanks!

I never imagined I could build something like this, it's been such an amazing experience. I can't wait to build a CNC mill next.

After a closer look you could raise the Y up a few inches or so, and then ad a plate extending down on the Z and that would give you a few more inches if Y/Z clearance. I see you already have enough Z travel that is just going to waist now.

I sure wish I had the bucks to build one just like it!

Hi Again

In the second last photo:

Is there a piece of packing between the bearing block's and the front plate. I can just see something protruding at the top of the bearing block. How thick is it?

I take it that you needed a little more clearance than the bearing block's themselves would allow for your ball nut clearance beween the Y and Z axis.

I'm very close to making a start now. The frame is being cut and I have nearly got everything all here or coming here so it's just a matter of hurry up and wait I have only got the use of the left arm now (was RH before) as I had a rather bad stroke about 5 years ago so the build log will be interesting when I make a start on it. I am using ITEM which is pretty close to 8020 and I got a good price too.

Keep up the good work!
    Bob

After a closer look you could raise the Y up a few inches or so, and then ad a plate extending down on the Z and that would give you a few more inches if Y/Z clearance. I see you already have enough Z travel that is just going to waist now.

I sure wish I had the bucks to build one just like it!

Yes you are correct and now i have the machine running i plan on using it to cut the aluminum plate out to make it that way along with making it stronger and more accurate.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

stronger and more accurate.
    It looks like you mastered that part

Quote Originally Posted by bobcrockford View Post
    Hi Again

In the second last photo:

Is there a piece of packing between the bearing block's and the front plate. I can just see something protruding at the top of the bearing block. How thick is it?

I take it that you needed a little more clearance than the bearing block's themselves would allow for your ball nut clearance beween the Y and Z axis.

I'm very close to making a start now. The frame is being cut and I have nearly got everything all here or coming here so it's just a matter of hurry up and wait I have only got the use of the left arm now (was RH before) as I had a rather bad stroke about 5 years ago so the build log will be interesting when I make a start on it. I am using ITEM which is pretty close to 8020 and I got a good price too.

Keep up the good work!
    Bob

You are correct, since I didnt want the nema35 mount overlapping the backplate I had to space the plate up from the trucks. I'm using just another peice of 1/4" alum plate as a spacer.

It looks like you mastered that part

:wave: i'm almost there I set the machine to cut a circle 6" in diameter it cut a circle that was 6.014".

I think I just need to tighten a few bolts and shorten the X axis leadscrew nut support. Or I might have just had some play in my sacrifical peice of wood.

Page 1 of 2 12