586,969 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Centroid Acorn now available and is the real deal.

Hybrid View

Re: Centroid Acorn now available and is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Hello all, here's a link to Marty Escarcega's thread over in the Ajax/Centroid forum describing the switch from a Mach3 parallel port system to the newly released Centroid Acorn kit. I have one coming next week for my new mill and am SO excited. If you're used to dealing with Mach's issues, this will be a welcome relief for a very reasonable price. Imagine that, control software and hardware from the same American company....who'd a thunk it would ever happen for the hobby market!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/ajaxcn...42320-cnc.html

Link to the product, check it out:

Centroid Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication
    Looks like another interesting package to try, Centroid have always had a good control software
    Mactec54

This looks awesome. I personally think Tormach dropped the ball on the Path pilot system. Tried to buy just the conversion hardware and was told machine owners only. Centroid has been around awhile so this should be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper650 View Post
    This looks awesome. I personally think Tormach dropped the ball on the Path pilot system. Tried to buy just the conversion hardware and was told machine owners only. Centroid has been around awhile so this should be solid.
    Not true at all. Path Pilot is sold separately. However there is no support for home brews. I have it. Like everything else it needs a specific computer that will run Linux well and a Mesa card. Seems like the same issues with Mach and an SS or equivalent.
    A lazy man does it twice.

To me, the Acorn is like LinuxCNC/PathPilot for non-Linux proficient users (such as myself). The price isn't that far from what a Mesa & its peripheral items cost and the software is known to be solid. No compatability or setup issues either. The only unexpected issue I've had is that the CNC12 software requires a Win10 PC with a single thread benchmark of 1500. A trivial & relatively low performance number to you computer lovers but I did have to get something to replace my Mach3/XP/PP machine.

Maybe Acorn's not for everybody but a it's miracle for me!
    Milton in Tennessee ya'll!