586,113 active members*
3,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 110v VFD's. Any issues?
Page 4 of 6 23456

Question Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

I have been working on a diagram that shows what I need to do to install the VFD correctly.

It's not completely finished, but before I go too far can someone check it for accuracy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang YM Wiring.jpg   Huanyang YM Wiring.jpg  

Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
    I have been working on a diagram that shows what I need to do to install the VFD correctly.

It's not completely finished, but before I go too far can someone check it for accuracy?

Looks Good you connect the input Power to R and T and the shield Terminate like snips below, you don't add tails to shields, the Ground Plane, which is the plate you mount everything on is what you terminate the Shield to

You should create a Star point Ground on the Mounting Plate not at the VFD Drive Ground
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gounding Post in Case.PNG  
    Mactec54

Your photo says no pigtails. How should you connect the shield of the spindle cable?

As I understand it the shield needs to be connected at BOTH ends.

I was going to pigtail it and connect it to where pin 4 terminates but I see now that would be wrong, so should I just remove some of the insulation to expose the shielding, and then mechanically connect it to the end of the plug?

Your photo says no pigtails. How should you connect the shield of the spindle cable?

As I understand it the shield needs to be connected at BOTH ends.

I was going to pigtail it and connect it to where pin 4 terminates but I see now that would be wrong, so should I just remove some of the insulation to expose the shielding, and then mechanically connect it to the end of the plug?
    It does not have to be directly done in the plug it can be done with a clip within 6" of the spindle Plug, with a 360 degree clamp, if done in the plug which are not ideal you can use the strain relief by rolling the shield up to that point where the clamp is, as I said this is not ideal, because these plugs are not designed for shielded cable, the best is to clamp the cable shield like the snip below or similar

Your Power Filter needs to be close to the VFD Drive not at the End of a cable at the Wall

Your double Shielded cable although it is the best, check the flex rating as the outer foil will crack with cable flexing which you get with Z axes movement and then the outer Foil is not very affective

Only trim just enough of the insolation where you are going to clamp the shield
    Mactec54

Lightbulb Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your double Shielded cable although it is the best, check the flex rating as the outer foil will crack with cable flexing which you get with Z axes movement and then the outer Foil is not very affective
    Is there a specification that I should look for that tells me how flexible the cable is?

I think I fixed all the areas that you mentioned on the diagram below.

Is there a specification that I should look for that tells me how flexible the cable is?

I think I fixed all the areas that you mentioned on the diagram below.
    Looks like you are on the right track with your wiring, the Filter will have a Ground going in

You will have to look up the Manufacturers spec's for the Flex Rating, all of these quality cables will have all these spec's, one other thing to consider when choosing a cable is the outside diameter of the cable, as the spindle plugs will only allow a certain size cable to go through the cable restraint
    Mactec54

I reread this thread from the beginning and think I found a problem.

Since I am using the 110 volt 1.5kw VFD, shouldn't I be using 10-2 wire instead of 10-3 wire?

As I understand it I will only use the R (black wire) and T (white wire) terminals on the VFD, plus Earth ground.

Wouldn't that make it 10-2 wire?

I reread this thread from the beginning and think I found a problem.

Since I am using the 110 volt 1.5kw VFD, shouldn't I be using 10-2 wire instead of 10-3 wire?

As I understand it I will only use the R (black wire) and T (white wire) terminals on the VFD, plus Earth ground.

Wouldn't that make it 10-2 wire?

It depends on the type of cable you are using as to how it's defined. Just for clarity, Wire = a single conductor. Cable = multiple conductors, insulated from each other, in a common insulating outer jacket.

Romex, 3 conductor cable(common house wiring cable, solid wires) is normally spec'd as 10-2 w/ground, where a 3 conductor SO cable (think heavy black extension cord, stranded wires) would be spec'd as 10-3. Both cables have 3 conductors, just different specs.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Lightbulb Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Just for clarity, Wire = a single conductor. Cable = multiple conductors, insulated from each other, in a common insulating outer jacket.
    Correct. I'm amazed by how often people call what is cable "wire".

Both cables have 3 conductors, just different specs.
    But aren't the color of the wires inside different in 10-3?

10-2 is black, white and bare copper for ground. I thought 10-3 was red or blue wire....

10-2 is black, white and bare copper for ground. I thought 10-3 was red or blue wire....

In North America, 10-3 cable normally would be Black, White, Green. 10-4 would normally be Black, White, Red, Green. Romex, 10-2 w/ground would normally be Black, White and a bare conductor.

In Europe, an equivalent 10-3 would be Brown, Blue, and Green/yellow

On the other hand, electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

You should not be using Romex cable from the Wall to your VFD Drive, this can be used for in the wall installation or used in conduit

Yes the wires are different colors Black / Red / White / Ground and Black / White / Ground

One is for 240v the other is for 120v

For any cable from the outlet to the VFD Drive should be stranded wire

Here is a cable that is called 10/3 which is fine for the input Power Supply from the wall to the VFD Drive, different cable is called different names, many by the class of cable you are using

You can get this at Home Depot and most stores that supply basic electrical supplies

This cable is not used in the wall, you use your Romex for in the wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120v Supply Cable.PNG  
    Mactec54

In North America, 10-3 cable normally would be Black, White, Green. 10-4 would normally be Black, White, Red, Green. Romex, 10-2 w/ground would normally be Black, White and a bare conductor.

In Europe, an equivalent 10-3 would be Brown, Blue, and Green/yellow

On the other hand, electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is
    Only the electrical code has a requirement
    Mactec54

You should not be using Romex cable from the Wall to your VFD Drive, this can be used for in the wall installation or used in conduit
    Correct.

This is the wire run in the wall from the main service box to the Disconnect > EMI filter ;

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-288...s%2C140&sr=1-2

This is the outlet;

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5207-...881520&sr=8-25

This is the cable run from the outlet to the VFD;

https://www.amazon.com/Supplying-Dem...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Here is a cable that is called 10/3 which is fine for the input Power Supply from the wall to the VFD Drive
    Why would that 10-3 be used if the VFD only needs the R and the T connected (plus ground)?

Correct.

This is the wire run in the wall from the main service box to the Disconnect > EMI filter ;

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-288...s%2C140&sr=1-2

This is the outlet;

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5207-...881520&sr=8-25

This is the cable run from the outlet to the VFD;

https://www.amazon.com/Supplying-Dem...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Why would that 10-3 be used if the VFD only needs the R and the T connected (plus ground)?
    Because that was explained in the above posts 10-3 referred to 3 wires Hot / Neutral and Ground and is what you need to be using

Your appliance cable and wall Receptacle you posted is not suitable, you need the Twist lock Plug and Receptacle, you make the cable from the cable I posted with matching plug and Receptacle the same as what I have posted

The EMI Filter also has to be mounted close to the VFD Drive can not be mounted at the wall
    Mactec54

you need the Twist lock Plug and Receptacle
    This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2620-...gateway&sr=8-7

Yes that will work, good price
    Mactec54

Thank you Mactec54!

One a side note, I have been doing a LOT of research on setting up my CNC, and in almost every thread that I read I noticed that you always reached out and helped people here with how to do things right.

I just wanted to say that I think you are a really valuable asset to this community, and I know that I have learned more from all of your post, than from all the things I have seen from other sites combined.

Thank you for all of your help and guidance! It is really appreciated!

Yes that will work, good price
    Will this same outlet work if I decide to use 220 instead of 120?

What about the 10/2 Romex? Would I need to get 10/3 Romex if I decide to use 220 volts instead?

Will this same outlet work if I decide to use 220 instead of 120?

What about the 10/2 Romex? Would I need to get 10/3 Romex if I decide to use 220 volts instead?
    If you decide that at some time you want it to be a 240v supply then you want to have a 3 wire plus Ground this would be red and black Hot a white neutral and a Ground not much difference in cost to do this

This will give you then the ability to have 240v and 120v from the same supply
    Mactec54

not much difference in cost to do this
    Yes that's why I think it would be better to just wire for 240v now. Plus I can get a 2.2kw spindle for about the same price as the 1.5kw 120v spindle. Might as well just do it right the first time.

I'm assuming the same TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L filter will work for 240volt, correct?

Correct receptacle for 240 volt here?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2710-...i&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Page 4 of 6 23456