3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak quick turn nexus 250ms 640t control

hello Mazak guys
    Im a fadal man A G code kind of guy
    but thats not my problem

Were i work we have a new lathe with live turret
    nobody knows how to turn it on, or how to run it?
    can't even get the spindle to turn on?

what is step one
    what is the propper way to home out the machine when it come on.
    any help at all ?
    I dont want to go in to it blind
    company has sent 4 men to learn how to run it
    none of them know how after going to the mazak school

the parts are needed to run are not that hard to make
    or lots of different ones.

thanks sidecar82

Mazak

For mazatrol, under TOOL DATA page there is curve arrow that's tell the spindle to right or left and same with live tool.

This is for G-code:
    M203 live tool clockwise
    M204 live tool counterclockwise
    M205 live tool stop

M3 for clockwise main spindle
    M4 for counterclockwise

Hope it help.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

home machine?

How is the machine home out ?
    proper power up
    cant try as you said
    thanks

Select the 'Home" button and first move the XYZ axis's away from the home switches, then toward the home switches.
    Wayne Hill

Mazak

Just to be more clear... if X and Z at home when you shut off, then hit X- and Z- the head will move in down in X and Z move in for about 1 or 2 then release machine will automatic take care X and Z. For Y(if you have one), engrage C-axis then hit Y- or Y+ it is your choice, then go opposite direction what ever the direction you just select. Wowa laaaa machine is done.

Confuse....... but it quite simple when do.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Oh boy. This sounds like a classic case of masochism....

After power up and the system has booted, like they said, press the key that says "Home"...it should be lit up by default...and it's in with the "rapid", "home", "tape", "memory" buttons.

there's four jog buttons at the bottom of the control, and you home the machine by briefly pressing two of these buttons, the two that jog the turret towards the spindle centerline.

To power up the spindle you need to first make sure the chuck is closed (if set to clamp on an OD)...since it won't run if the chuck is "open".

Hitting the spindle start button will allow you to set the rpm according to the button above where it says "rapid", "speed", "feed".

If you don't have manuals, get 'em. They're lousy IMHO, but necessary if you're ever to get a clue as to how to fly these things.

I'd also recommend spending the money to send someone to Mazaschool for a training session. It ain't cheap, but it's money well spent...and maybe some machinery damage saved, along with a whole lotta frustration.

Once you get comfortable programming in Mazalarm, you'll love how quickly you can have a job up and running....

I love our Fadal, because it does what I tell it to do...the Mazak does what I tell it to do too, but not before doing what it wants to.

Set your tools, the data for the tools, then the data for the set up (like chuck jaw description, tailstock, and Z program offset), then do the program. Proof it, then run it!

Whatever you do, be careful with your change point!! That's where the turret is located when it changes tools, and where it traverses to from home to start machining.

I use change point 1

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Oh boy. This sounds like a classic case of masochism....

If you don't have manuals, get 'em. They're lousy IMHO, but necessary if you're ever to get a clue as to how to fly these things.

I'd also recommend spending the money to send someone to Mazaschool for a training session. It ain't cheap, but it's money well spent...and maybe some machinery damage saved, along with a whole lotta frustration.
    Couldn't agree more with the above. I started this, my first machine shop job, back in July and graduated school last Dec. We never touched on conversational in school, strictly hand coding then later getting to use cam/cad for the mills. My first day here I found out the experianced machinist I was to learn from had left for another position, leaving little ol me the only machinist here. A call to Mazak let me home the machine out and I was able to check my offsets etc to continue running the parts remaining with the active program.

The verbage in the manuals isn't the best but they did teach me enough to be dangerous. Like an OD threading crash just after starting. A combination of unclear verbage and a bad program I checked myself with from the previous guy that he must have forgotten to delete. I have learned a lot about how to use the machine and it's features from the manuals but... I don't know what they charge for training but it couldn't be more than this invoice I'm looking at that I keep over my computer. Der diem, travel time, mileage, overnight stay at a motel, ungodly hourly rate and a few dollars in parts overnighted from Mazak.

Thinking back over the time I spent banging my head over a program that wouldn't check out when it turned out that the controller just wanted me to reverse the order I defined the shapes in, the opposite of how I'd have cut the part usually, it would have well paid for itself to send me for training. Now it would still be benificial even if I can be productive with the machine.

Look into either training, and send someone with sense enough to ask questions or opt for the board that allows G-coding ($4000.00 installed was the qoute we recieved for our 640T).

My .02
    Scott
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar82 View Post
    company has sent 4 men to learn how to run it
    none of them know how after going to the mazak school
    I went to Mazak 'school'....and it didn't teach me how to run it, only how to program it, and even that left me limited.

The best thing to do is have someone come to your shop floor and teach you how to run YOUR machine. He needs to not only be competent to run your machine, but needs to understand how to TEACH you how to run it. Big difference between programming it and actually setting up and operating it.

The classes at the factory only use the simulator, and don't show you how to use the tooleye, move the tailstock, and a bunch of other things that make you productive.

You really need both the classroom and the hands-on.

If it's any comfort, mine still makes me real nervous...

Mazatrol ROCKS!
    I have been doing it ten years and it is so quick and versatile. I have been a machinist almost 30 years, all of it CNC since there was a CNC. I have used many conversationals and Mazatrol is the best. I find people who do not like it do not know it.
    It takes a long time to get used to and they keep changing it, but I have not found anything mazatrol cant do although it requires a lot of cheating. We run some programs with upwards of 50 units with complex geometrys. The bigest problem is the usual...machinist need to edit...but some often do it when they do not need to or do it wrong.

Hire someone to tech it, in-shop. It's worth it.

I'm sure 3-4 day is all it would take to tech a machinist to be programming with confidence. For best performance the key word is "Machinist", lathe if possible. The Mazatrol 640T is versatile and very powerful programming and manufacturing turning center. Bring your imagination, strap in and go for a wild ride. Seriously it’s a great system.