586,072 active members*
4,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

V-groove guide bearings and rails

Has anyone used V-groove guide bearings and rails for linear motion purposes? If so I would appreciate your input on how would you rate the success of this application? I am in the process of researching the construction of a plasma table and on the face of it they look like a good option. Apples used them on his but I have not received a response from a PM. It has been awhile since he has posted, so it may be that he is no longer involved in the forum.

I would like to know how durable they are and how well they hold tolerances.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have used them on some shop built routers for work. The one I just rebuilt had 4 years of useage, @ 50 hours a week. I didn't see any wear on the rails, or the bearings, but will be replacing the bearings as part of the rebuild. The latest quote that I got, was $15 per bearing! This machine uses 16 of them.

This machine cuts composite parts, so not much load on it, just dust, and time.

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by gonejunking View Post
    I have used them on some shop built routers for work. The one I just rebuilt had 4 years of useage, @ 50 hours a week. I didn't see any wear on the rails, or the bearings, but will be replacing the bearings as part of the rebuild. The latest quote that I got, was $15 per bearing! This machine uses 16 of them.

This machine cuts composite parts, so not much load on it, just dust, and time.

Just my 2c
    Thanks for the input. If I understand the Plasma Table concept there isn't much of a load there either (possibly even less than in the case of a router). Just the weight of the gantry, etc.

Thanks again.

Dirtbos for some insight on how vee bearings have been implimented on one type of machine look at this site.

There is a bit to wade through but the same principles apply to what you have in mind.

Vee bearing is the way I would be going if I were to build a plasma machine. With R&P drives.

I think they would cope well with the gritty environment.

Gantry and Y car could be lighter on a plasma.

I would be looking at how to keep the X rails below the table level to aid in access with large heavy sheets of steel.

http://www.mechmate.com/index.html

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Dirtbos for some insight on how vee bearings have been implimented on one type of machine look at this site.

There is a bit to wade through but the same principles apply to what you have in mind.

Vee bearing is the way I would be going if I were to build a plasma machine. With R&P drives.

I think they would cope well with the gritty environment.

Gantry and Y car could be lighter on a plasma.

I would be looking at how to keep the X rails below the table level to aid in access with large heavy sheets of steel.

http://www.mechmate.com/index.html

Greg
    Hello Greolt,

What I had in mind was using a gantry similar to the one on your router design, but with flat end plates that extend down the sides of the main rails, rather than an L design with the linear rails under the bracket and on top of the main rails. The v-rails bolted to a piece of flat stock (aluminum or steel??) and then bolted to the side of the main rails (vertically, one rail above the other) with stand off spacers for easier cleanup. Reversing the c-channel (c facing towards each other) would put the flat side out to allow bolting on the v-rail assembly. Haven't thought it out completely. Gear rack location in this design is also a consideration. It could possibly be mounted at the very bottom of the channel on each side by extending the gantry end plates lower. I hope this rambling statement made some sense.

This would allow placement of the "slats" in a higher location in relation to the side rails.

I have a sandrail that is running behind and need to work a few late nights to get caught up (the customer is getting anxious). When I have the time, I will draw a rough preliminary design in SolidWorks and send you a copy (and post it also).

Thanks for the link to the site. I will look it over.

Sir,

We used vee rails and wheels on some of the smaller commercial machines which we made. We used hardened Vee ways and SS wheels. They are self-wiping due to the geometry involved. They last quite well, and generate a kind of "rusty" dust as they wear. One should be sure to consider that your master and slave side rails will not be perfectly parallel, so some acommodation need to be considered here.

Regards,
    Jack C.

Quote Originally Posted by jcc3inc View Post
    Sir,

We used vee rails and wheels on some of the smaller commercial machines which we made. We used hardened Vee ways and SS wheels. They are self-wiping due to the geometry involved. They last quite well, and generate a kind of "rusty" dust as they wear. One should be sure to consider that your master and slave side rails will not be perfectly parallel, so some acommodation need to be considered here.

Regards,
    Jack C.
    Thanks for the input.

I had considered a design similar to the Torchmate I, using V-guide bearings on the master side (rather than cam follower bearings) and a simple cam follower bearing to carry the load on the slave side. This allows for expansion/contraction of the gantry. With this “T” design and the v-guide bearings set on the horizontal, I think that the gantry would be quite stable. I feel that the pre-made track that is available (aluminum base with apposing V-guide track) would work well for all three axis.

I do like the self cleaning feature of these bearings.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbos View Post
    I feel that the pre-made track that is available (aluminum base with apposing V-guide track) would work well for all three axis.
    I felt that way too since I didnt want to have to align them. Then I saw the
    price!

50 ft of single V track is ~ $500. This would build 25ft worth of dual v track
    but require me to align them together and keep everything parallel.

The premade dual V track from teausa with the aluminum base runs $2100
    for the same end length of track (25ft).

Thats a BIG difference.. and that doesnt even include any carriages or V
    wheels. I cant afford that.. so now I am going to build my own base
    essentially using flat stock to keep the single v tracks in line and form a dual
    V track.

Mike

If you haven't seen my build log on the table I am currently constructing take a look at this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31133. I am using readily available CRS steel from any supplier for my rails. I have seen a very similar set up as the round rail in use for years. The way I am putting all this together either one of the X rails will be replacable without even removing the gantry. Outside the drilling of the flat CRS rail either rail should only take about an hour to change if wear developes.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Would love to hear some more feedback and ideas from people using V-Grooves

DO a google search for MechMate.

budP

Quote Originally Posted by douglasco View Post
    Would love to hear some more feedback and ideas from people using V-Grooves
    They work great for me on my TrueCNC machine. Here are some photos:

Close up of the Superior Bearings on the rails:

Photo of the rails and bearings:

Close up of the dual 45 degree rails:

Looks like a EZ router design...

http://www.ez-router.com/
    Wayne Hill

Yeah it is like an EZrouter and a Shopbot and heaps of other one off designs.

Nothing unique about using vee rollers on angle iron track.

Also nothing special about using R&P with spring loaded pinions.

But make no mistake about it this so called TrueCNC is a Mechmate.

Gerald has designed this machine and made freely available CAD drawings of all the laser cut parts and all the other parts.

Set up and run a forum to provide full support for builders. All for free.

All he has asked is contained in the following quote,

"The drawings and data can be used for free for personal non-commercial use.
    The MechMate logo shall be displayed on the completed product and third parties shall be referred to www.mechmate.com for further information."

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
    That should really be spelled MECHMATE as in www.mechmate.com. Not very wise to try and sell a design that is not yours. Shame on TrueCNC (chair)

Maybe the moderators here can do something about this.

I missed the part where he is trying to SELL anything??????

Lighten up!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Yeah you did miss that part jhowelb

That is because it has all been removed by moderators.

The comments were well founded. You just did not see the posts that prompted them.

Hopefully we will see no more. Good work moderators. :cheers:

Greg

Doenst look like it can take much of any load

I used V rails on my machine and I'm completely satisfied. I'm sure glad I didn't spend tons of money for precision linear bearings. As you've already figured out, you don't need V rails on both sides of the table. I initially had them on both sides, but I replaced the slave side with flat rail and plain bearings. It will eliminate the need to get them perfectly parallel. On the Y axis I used opposed rails bolted directly to the gantry tube. It was very difficult to get them exactly parallel. My Z axis uses a pre-made double sided rail.
    My rails are from Mcmaster Carr and the V bearings are from Modern Linear. #2 size.

See pics at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57192

If you are using rack and pinion you could mount the rack where my belt is and use the pinion to hold the gantry down on the V rails.

Jon

i would say this will most likely be removed but.. i have a big mouth... lol

after a long absence from the forums im a reader not a poster... looking for mechmate videos on youtube and to my surprise.. and using mechmate as a tag....

TRUECNC .......... :boxing: wtf

Gerald and the guys work over at mechmate more like it

People like this just make me furious im glad to see cnczone sticking up for their hard work...

i only wish i could do more to stop this guy and other skum like him

suggestions.....

just wanted to add that i lost my virginity 1 post since 11/1/2006 to do it..

it's just another case of R+D

Ripoff and Duplicate

Page 1 of 2 12