586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 0m tool change

I'll try to keep this short, English not being my primary language.

Last week, everything worked, had to repair the hydraulic actuator for presetting the tool in the correct position for the tool-arm (vertical ATC, side of machine).
    This week, the spindle indexes, but the Z doesn't travel up at all..
    There is a tool pre-set (in the switching position).
    The spindle keeps indexing until I press "reset" on the program.
    Seems to me that the program is stuck in whatever it is stuck in, and won't procees to the next step (or it has missed a step).

However, I can't access parameter 220-499.
    Parameter 0010, bit 5 is set to 0.
    PWE=1 doesn't reveal anything, but allows me to edit parameters.
    I've tried various O9000-series programs but to no avail; I can't find the macros of this machine.
    Currently, the program I'm using to switch tools is as follows:
    O0006;
    T1;
    M6;
    M30;
    The T1 and M6 are on seperate lines to test if they should be. Doesn't make a difference.

Is there a way for the 0m to view all programs in a list-format (like with the 0i), or is it too old for that?
    Is there a way to see what macros are made (for specific M codes)?
    Is there a way to see parameter 220-499?

I've made 2 videos of this situation, links below.
    Any help would be appreciated! (A pdf of a proper manual would be prime to start with)

EDIT; forgot a bit of info

Re: Fanuc 0m tool change

Video the second, as multiple videos in a post isn't allowed.

Today, did some extra testing

T01 or M06 (instead of T1 and M6) don't seem to make a difference in any combination possible. Neither if they are on the same line.
    M19 will make the spindle index, just like with the tool change; it'll turn the spindle (slowly), slow down and a *click* at the position it should change tools at.
    For some reason, the RPM seems to be wonky. In that whenever I program S2000 or S300 or S760, it's half that (1000, 150 and 380). It has a gearbox for High-Low, so maybe just a weird setting (M41/M42), but I'll check that out again tomorrow.
    However, the machine is fitted with an analog RPM dial (like a voltmeter) and that displays the correct RPM (according to my laser-reflective sticker rpm measuring device), both when in MDI, AUTO or manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pj3r View Post
    I'll try to keep this short, English not being my primary language.

Last week, everything worked, had to repair the hydraulic actuator for presetting the tool in the correct position for the tool-arm (vertical ATC, side of machine).
    This week, the spindle indexes, but the Z doesn't travel up at all..
    There is a tool pre-set (in the switching position).
    The spindle keeps indexing until I press "reset" on the program.
    Seems to me that the program is stuck in whatever it is stuck in, and won't procees to the next step (or it has missed a step).

However, I can't access parameter 220-499.
    Parameter 0010, bit 5 is set to 0.
    PWE=1 doesn't reveal anything, but allows me to edit parameters.
    I've tried various O9000-series programs but to no avail; I can't find the macros of this machine.
    Currently, the program I'm using to switch tools is as follows:
    O0006;
    T1;
    M6;
    M30;
    The T1 and M6 are on seperate lines to test if they should be. Doesn't make a difference.

Is there a way for the 0m to view all programs in a list-format (like with the 0i), or is it too old for that?
    Is there a way to see what macros are made (for specific M codes)?
    Is there a way to see parameter 220-499?

I've made 2 videos of this situation, links below.
    Any help would be appreciated! (A pdf of a proper manual would be prime to start with)

EDIT; forgot a bit of info
    as far as i know is parameter 10 bit 4 to see the 9000 programs

Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    as far as i know is parameter 10 bit 4 to see the 9000 programs
    Ok so do I set it to 1 or 0? And if I understand the description alright, it's 7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0, right? So bit 4 is the 4th bit, right? As in, bit 2 is the 6th bit and bit 7 is the 1st?

Oh and by the way, the RPM issue was solved... the machine actually has a spindle speed override dial.....sometimes you can't help but going home feeling stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pj3r View Post
    Ok so do I set it to 1 or 0? And if I understand the description alright, it's 7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0, right? So bit 4 is the 4th bit, right? As in, bit 2 is the 6th bit and bit 7 is the 1st?

Oh and by the way, the RPM issue was solved... the machine actually has a spindle speed override dial.....sometimes you can't help but going home feeling stupid.
    xxx1xxxx must be 1.

I've found no difference in seeing programs/parameters with that setting. Is there a check-parameter for that option, so it blocks it?

I know this thread is kind of dead, but forgot to update on the whats-its.
    If anybody cares, I've found the problem.
    It was one of the 2 sensors that are on the spindle's gearbox that tell the confuser that the spindle is in the right orientation. Had a mechanic come in, and while the machine was doing its rotating dance, he notices a diagnostic thing go from 1-0 and the bit next to it from 10101010101 (but mostly on the 1). When taken apart, it was clear within 0.3 of a (metric) second that the contact was too crusty to be useful. Ordered a new one (Omron SHL-Q2155), fitted it and it still wouldn't change tools.
    Easy fix though. Put the Z-axis in the reference position first either by G91 G28 Z0 (can't remember by heart the official code, rarely use it) or in jog to reference.
    Then call the tool you want. For instance, you have tool 1 and you want tool 4, so you type in T4
    Next line (or after the magazine's been set in MDI) hammer in M6.
    Presto tool change.
    Only downside is, that if you have a program with only 2 tools, the Tx needs to be not in the program for some reason. Every time it messes up what's what and an alarm goes off. Best way to deal with that I've found is to load the tools, preset the 2nd tool manually in MDI and remove the T1/T2 from the program, but still have the M6. The offsets are fine.
    Sometimes the tool slowdown is a bit slow (can take up to 10 seconds for the last 20 degrees of turn or so) but so far it works without a hitch. Currently looking to hook up a PC, as typing every program on the machine becomes cucumbersome after a day. Plus I like to make programs in Notapad++ in the evening as it's a better way to spend time at home than gaming.

Thanks for the tips.