586,655 active members*
3,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Multiple work offsets in mcx2?

Multiple work offsets in mcx2?

How do i set multiple work offsets in mcx2?
    I havn't used mc in years and now i'm trying to learn mcx.
    I remember using misc. values or work coor. but cant figure it out.
    Do i use tool plane constr. plane?
    I found the box to set the offset number but in my tool list they all go to one offset.
    I also dont have the program in front of me so i cant be too specific.
    I know this is really simple but i cant get it.
    Played phone tag with the techs today so i thought i'd try here.
    Thanks for any info

I don't use multiple offsets but I was able to find some info by searching through the help file...

There are many places in Mastercam where you can enter a work offset number so that a particular work offset will be activated when an operation is performed. For example, you can associate a work offset with a named view so that it will be activated whenever the view is selected, or you can enter an offset code as part of the operation parameters for an individual toolpath.

Many users associate work offsets with specific Gcodes, most commonly G54, G55, etc. However, because different machine tools and controls use many different offset numbering schemes, Mastercam requires that you specify work offsets in a generic format. Offsets are identified starting with the number zero and incremented by one for each successive offset. For example, in Fanuc controls, 0=G54, 1=G55, 2=G56, etc., while in Fadal controls 0=E1, 1=E2, and 2=E3. Your post processor should be configured to output the proper codes when you post the operation. The NCI file will contain the generic codes.

Most posts are configured so that entering -1 in the offset field will result in no offset code being generated, while 0 will output the lowest or first offset code. Use the Work System page in the control definition to tell Mastercam more about your work offset scheme.

Use the Toolpath Coordinate System dialog box to enter a work offset for a specific toolpath or operation (select the Planes button on the Toolpath parameters tab). Select the check box to activate work offsets, and enter the code for the desired offset.

Note: When you enter an offset as part of the operation parameters, it will override an offset that has been activated elsewhere. For example, if an offset has been activated because it is associated with a view that has been selected, you can override it by selecting a new offset in the toolpath parameters. You can cancel the offset by entering an offset code of -1 for the toolpath.

If it's the same toolpath across or around the table, you can do a Transformation and check the option for Automatically Increment the Work Offset.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Thanks Matt ,i keep forgeting about the help section.I've read that a bunch of times now and i still cant get it to work.It changes all the opps to one or the other, not just the ones i select.

Thanks Mike,im doing different opps. in three different offsets.I plan on buying your cd as soon as my wife gives me some money.

offsets

there are a few locations for setting offsets matters on what you want.
    here are few shots of were. Once there hit help to get more info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails offset1.jpg   offset2.jpg   offset3.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .