586,114 active members*
3,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haimer vs Tschorn

Everyone here (including me) seems to use the Haimer 3d-taster. At a local tradeshow I had the opportunity to examine a very similar product from Tschorn (see Tschorn 3D Testers - Penn Tool Co., Inc). It is slightly smaller than the Haimer and is coolant proof at about the same price. Their DREHplus model has a cylindrical rather than ball probe tip which would be great in the lathe. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

Re: Haimer vs Tschorn

Not sure why you think ANY of those have a cylindrical tip, much less why that would be desirable. All I see anywhere in the Tschorn catalog is various sized ball tips, like every other probe.

I would expect those to be fully comparable to the Haimer.

http://www.tschorn-gmbh.de/downloads...%20English.pdf

Regards,
    Ray L.

Please see page 8 of the document that you linked for information on the DREH version that I mentioned. Setting lathe Z-axis tool offsets in problematic with a ball end.

I have seen the Tschorn ones in Germany. I sometimes spend nearly half the year over there. They are pretty nice. I didnt realize that they had a cylindrical tip for them.Thank you for mentioning this. I may have to pick one up when I am in Deutschland next

Found a video of the cylindrical probe.
    https://youtu.be/kacnj-kpErw

Thanks for the video showing the cylindrical tip. You don't have to go to Germany to get one. They're probably cheaper there but they are also on Amazon!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Thanks for the video showing the cylindrical tip. You don't have to go to Germany to get one. They're probably cheaper there but they are also on Amazon!
    One of my customers has a machine shop and they have about 50 of them. He said he would give me one.

Even with cylindrical tip z direction measurement will be no accurate. It's obvious that this direction is used just for orientative measurement (the scale is usually 0,1 mm instead of 0,01). So whatever tip u are using check z direction with tool.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Everyone here (including me) seems to use the Haimer 3d-taster. At a local tradeshow I had the opportunity to examine a very similar product from Tschorn (see Tschorn 3D Testers - Penn Tool Co., Inc). It is slightly smaller than the Haimer and is coolant proof at about the same price. Their DREHplus model has a cylindrical rather than ball probe tip which would be great in the lathe. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
    The DREHPlus does look handy for the lathe, but the new price of nearly $800 sure put a damper on my enthusiasm pretty darned quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The DREHPlus does look handy for the lathe, but the new price of nearly $800 sure put a damper on my enthusiasm pretty darned quickly.
    I was thinking the same thoughts. I wonder if I can get a similar tip for the Haimer.....
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I have made my own Renishaw probe tips but I've never tried one for the Haimer. A cylindrical tip should be relatively easy...

One more thing. With cylinder u need to get precise, specific height to contact in XY directions.