586,080 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 14 45678
    My apologies to you Mangus,

I tried to edit all my posts that were off topic, but was prevented from doing so. I won't bother anyone again.
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Turmite, I wasn't referring to you specific.
    I have noticed this phenomenon in other US forums I been visiting.
    This shoot first - ask questions later mentality is wery un-scandinavian.
    I'm a timid guy:rainfro:

I played around with a testversion of MadCam, rhino plugin, earlier today. As I said earlier, I'm no luthier, I'm not a cnc engineer neither. But this software was so simple to understand so I managed to do a simulation after 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    Turmite, I wasn't referring to you specific.
    I have noticed this phenomenon in other US forums I been visiting.
    I'm a timid guy:rainfro:

I played around with a testversion of MadCam, rhino plugin, earlier today. As I said earlier, I'm no luthier, I'm not a cnc engineer neither. But this software was so simple to understand so I managed to do a simulation after 15 minutes.

I think God doesn't want me to respond to you at the moment! I tried to reply to your pm and it went somewhere other than my sent box, and I tried to reply to this post and just as I hit the submit button, my internet dropped off! If this one makes it, I might try again soon.

Mike

AMEN!

Like I said in my original post, let's not forget the work you put into the model, and then shared with all...

Let me say it again,

THANK YOU!
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    AMEN!

Like I said in my original post, let's not forget the work you put into the model, and then shared with all...

Let me say it again,

THANK YOU!
    See how brilliant and wise this guy is. Amazing.

Prob was getting the LP model to render and turned out that i needed to up the res and this seems like the fix...

Regarding soilds I still like the way soilds carve, render ect.. and all quads!

Yes the questions fly "as they should" you do not have to be rude

Untrim the patch surface, extrude the contour curves of the body through the patch surface, cut the extrude with the patch surface and cut the patch surface with the extrude. Join the parts to a polysurface.
    Did you not use a Microscribe digitizer to make your LP top anyway?

I think soild models are the future!

LG
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

You make a very good point LG....

I am not going to get into what modeling program is the best, since there are many out there, and all have ++++ and -----. It all comes down to what you know, and which one makes you be MORE productive...you are happy with it, then use it!

Solids however are good. I always try to design with them, and when it comes to carving and cutting to get a design the way I want it, there is nothing more accurate then using solids. I often also get some "hybrid" designs together, where surfaces are combined with solids, but I always try to use a surface and cut a solid with it, cause what I want to be left with, is a solid. Solids also make my life easier when I need to export the model I created into a CAM system for machining...

:cheers:
    ------------------

I'm very sorry if I behave rude in my previous post.

When you guys say that you prefer a solid modeling software, is because you can create any surface you want, without any problems, or is it because it's compatible with your cam software?

LG, yes, I used the Microscribe when I modeled the guitar.

I can't remember that I said that the method I show in the mini tutorial was the method I used to build the guitar.

GooCart, can I go off topic? Not in a bad way either. LG just showed me something that I have been begging to see. Not the surface of the violin, but the neck. That proves what he and the other So-lidees have been trying to tell me that what I have, can be done it Solid......I'm just curious if it is faster than Rhino, and if so, fast enough to make a difference considering the cost of the two packages.

Mike

LG,
    What software do you use?
    The violin and the neck looks like its been made in 3d studio, am I right?
    If I'm wrong, you have to tell me how you do that kind of surface in SW.

When you guys say that you prefer a solid modeling software, is because you can create any surface you want, without any problems, or is it because it's compatible with your cam software?
    For me it's because I can create any surface I want without any problems. Solids uses Surfaces like Rhino plus Solid modeling. And in the case of Solidworks, it is Parametric, which means there it is no problem to change any one feature without having to redraw the part again.

LG,
    What software do you use?
    If I'm wrong, you have to tell me how you do that kind of surface in SW.

GooCart you can get the same surfaces or at least quads by combining Rhino and T-Splines, all for much less than SW, but I am intriqued by this model of the neck. Ok LG make yourself visible now!

Mike this goes back to the challenge I have made to more than one Solid user. I would dearly love to see this done. I at least now see a much more organic object in this neck that LG did, but I would still like to see it done, i.e., a tutorial with steps.

Mike

Hi Turmite,

Exactly see what done? Use a surface, and covert to solid? Or create a surface like GooCart created?

Can you clarify?
    ------------------

GooCart,

That kind of surface in SolidWorks is quite straight forward actually...

You start in much the same way like you described in your previous post, creating lines and curves on how you want the surface to look (this you can do from a sketch, trace out an imported picture etc etc). You can place these curves "anywhere" on 3D space, simply by creating planes where you want to sketch.

Now, once you have these, you simply "extrude" a surface, but you also tell SW to use the curves you created as "guide" curves. It does a very good job of blending them together.

Now, since like Mike has mentioned, you have the power of "parametrics" working for you, you can go back to any of these curves to change their shape. dimensions, etc, and SW will blend the surface after these changes. In fact, using the tree, you can go back "in time" if you will, to completely change your design if you want.

If the surface still does not look good to you, you can use the "free-form" tool where you can "pull-tug-move" the surface in directions you define, to make it look exactly like you want to. I rarely have to do this, since if I pay attention to my guide curves, SW does the rest.

Once you have the surface, you can now "thicken" it, or simply use it to "cut with." What I mean by this, is that you can create this surface say on a solid block, and then cut the block with it, which will leave you with a perfect solid having the shape of your surface.

You could off course combine solids and surfaces on your model, and you could also work with JUST surfaces. I have found, that if using just surfaces, SW has a "stitch" feature, when it basically "stitches" together all the seams, between the surfaces and blends them. This makes the exporting of the model, and the choosing of geometry during tool path creation in a CAM package easier, since there are no gaps.

Does this explain it?
    ------------------

Hello Cyborg,

What I want to see is a step by step process of something like the violin neck. I hear everyone saying how easy it is to do in SW, but I have yet to see anyone willing to pony up and prove it. I want to see the steps so I can compare to the steps I would have to do to achieve the same thing in Rhino, and that is assuming I could even achieve it! I am not that good but know those that are.....if that helps!

Let me give you a for instance. I manufacture competition rifle stocks and bullseye pistol grips and some of them are very organic in shape. The neck that LG posted is as close to my stock work as anything I have seen, but I am assuming it was modeled in SW. What I want to know is SW really fast for organic free flowing modeling, and I don't care whether it is solids or surfaces, as long as they can be cammed for gcode!

Mike

NO! 3DS is triangle only and not sub D.

I like to use use Maya, Mondo, Zbrush any CatmullClark subdivision surface modeling program for the job.

LG
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidGuitars View Post
    NO! 3DS is triangle only and not sub D.

I like to use use Maya, Mondo, Zbrush any CatmullClark subdivision surface modeling program for the job.

LG

Nice surfaces.

LG,
    I assume that you work with polys in Maya?

I'm very impressed by the work some guys do with polygons, you are absolutely one of them.

I designed the external microphone for the conference telephone Konftel 300 with polygons in Cinema 4d, imported the mesh to Rhino and converted the polygon mesh to nurbs with T-splines. I tried the plugin just for fun and the result turned out great. The main unit is modeled in Rhino as usual.

You have to have a completely different building approach compared to traditional nurbs modeling, and I haven't practiced poly modeling enough to produce surfaces like you. So until I have played around more with the polygons I think I'll continue with nurbs in Rhino.

So, here we got three complete different design manners to produce a guitar.
    We have solid modeling, surface modeling and polygon modeling.

As long as the file can interact with other software, I think you should work with the tool you like.

Link to microphone. http://www.onedirect.es/pics/konftel...300-micros.jpg
    Link to main unit.
    http://www.konftel.se/default.asp?PT...d=5043&id=5010

Its false Mike. Bad Boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Mike,

Pride goes before a fall.
    (nuts)

http://3design-andre.blogspot.com/
    I admit i sent a lousy file to you Mike. Sorry for being a bad boy...
    By the way try Powermill next time.

Mike, how's it going...I was going to call but I didn't want to bother, but I was thinking of you and your wife.

Anyway, I'm trying to now model my guitar body, well I've been modeling bodies for 15+ years. What I'm trying to do is model the carved top. I understand all the principles and ideas..GooCart makes it sound easy, but at least I'm starting to understand the terminology...I digest, what I don't understand is how to make the curved line you're going to use in a drape or patch. Under curves there are a ton of things..free form, points etc... How do I even start making curved lines to make up the form? Should I use the free form using control points?

Page 6 of 14 45678