586,076 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 14 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    Mike, how's it going...I was going to call but I didn't want to bother, but I was thinking of you and your wife.

Anyway, I'm trying to now model my guitar body, well I've been modeling bodies for 15+ years. What I'm trying to do is model the carved top. I understand all the principles and ideas..GooCart makes it sound easy, but at least I'm starting to understand the terminology...I digest, what I don't understand is how to make the curved line you're going to use in a drape or patch. Under curves there are a ton of things..free form, points etc... How do I even start making curved lines to make up the form? Should I use the free form using control points?

C, call me sometime this afternoon 2-4pm central time if you still have my #

If not, send me an email to my turmite email address and I will send the # to you. I will be gone or busy till then.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Contour Top of Les Paul body

Hi guys
    im still wondering the exact contour of the top Les paul body...
    this is my 3d model of Les Paul, my friend want to print the Spongebob into it..
    anybody can help me...???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LP_Kangen_prev_2.jpg   LP_Kangen_prev_1.jpg  

Very cool, is this a real guitar or a rendering from a cad program? how are you going to print this onto the guitar. Thanks.

Mike, how's it going...I was going to call but I didn't want to bother, but I was thinking of you and your wife.

Anyway, I'm trying to now model my guitar body, well I've been modeling bodies for 15+ years. What I'm trying to do is model the carved top. I understand all the principles and ideas..GooCart makes it sound easy, but at least I'm starting to understand the terminology...I digest, what I don't understand is how to make the curved line you're going to use in a drape or patch. Under curves there are a ton of things..free form, points etc... How do I even start making curved lines to make up the form? Should I use the free form using control points?
    Are you talking to me?

Looks 3D but nice.. 3ds?

LG
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

No, Sorry, I was talking to Turmite (Mike).

Very cool, is this a real guitar or a rendering from a cad program? how are you going to print this onto the guitar. Thanks.
    Yes its a 3d rendered images...i 'built' it from 3d software (3dsmax)...i used poly editing based on lespaul Jr. plan...that's why i need a good lespaul standard cad/plan, please anyone ...
    Maybe, i'll use airbrush artist to help me draw into it...

Betterfly if you will look around on the musical instruments forum here, I have placed a double cut LP in iges on one of the threads. I am sure it is about LP's so do a search on that. I don't have time to look now, gotta go to work.

Mike

QUOTE=CyborgCNC;470757]That is certainly one way to do it...

Or, do it in just TWO steps in Solidworks, no Experimenting with settings required, AND you can IMPORT the PLANS from stewmac, and use them as a GUIDE :-) ...

1- Draw the contour curves, as you describe (by tracing out the plans,which you imported as a picture)
    2- Create a surface, and use these contour curves as guide curves....

DONE!

SW takes care of the rest!

:-)[/QUOTE]

ahhh im sorry but i cant figure it out. im trying to make an arch top but it isnt working. im new to the 'surfaces' feature. i copied the perimiter of my les paul and i used the offset tool to create lines inside of the edge of the body limit. if you could that would be great.

I just got my cnc router online. I found the model by Magnus, and it is kick ass. I opened it in soidworks and will probably use it to make my brother a LP for x-mas. Thanks for posting the model!!

Well thanx for those words. There has been much nonsense going on here regarding the file formats and cad system. Finally some one who appreciate the model for what it is.

I've noticed that the neck position is a little of. You should move the neck 2,4 mm closer to the neck pup cavity. Then you have to trim the neck tenon and the heel for the new position. This is because the neck is from a '53 and the body is a '59, they doesn't match 100% and I didn't notice it at first.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    Hi.
    I have a complete -59 LP modeled in rhino.
    The neck is digitized from my -53 GoldTop and the body is based on a 2d drawing made by Peter "Max" Baranet and the Stew/Mac -59 drawing and a whole bunch of pictures of the real thing.

If anyone is interested I can attach the model.
    Hi I'm new to cnc zone. Im looking for any solid guitar models. I'm running mastercam X3 would you send these files to me.

Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by overflowmachine View Post
    Hi I'm new to cnc zone. Im looking for any solid guitar models. I'm running mastercam X3 would you send these files to me.

Thanks Ron
    Ron I see this is your first post so I will go easy on you! The files are available here on this thread, and if you will look on some of the other threads you will find other files of other guitars too. All you gotta do is right click and save as!

Mike

I thought you guys wood get a kick seeing these.They are about 11 by 6 in size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1869.jpg   100_1870.jpg  

Hey I think I have DXF plans for a Les Paul... gotta find them out

+1
    Fun to see the file carved.
    Since I shared the file I've updated it quite a bit. The top carve is more radical, the pickup cavity's is changed and some other changes.

Merry Xmas to you all.

GooCart

Do you have any files of the 53 les paul neck as I would like to reference them to my dimensions from an original 59 if that would be okay with you??

Do you have the original style inlays because if you do not I can send them to you??

Here are the neck in step. The tenon is modeled after stew-mac and is not correct 50's style, it's more like the modern Les Paul historics.

The inlays (curves) are based on a drawing made by John Catto.

I would be interested in everything you got that's based on a real burst. I've given up modeling a authentic burst without actually having a real one for measuring. By that I'm saying that my '59 file that's available here are useless if your looking for an authentic -59.

Here are the neck in step. The tenon is modeled after stew-mac and is not correct 50's style, it's more like the modern Les Paul historics.

I would be interested in everything you got that's based on a real burst. I've given up modeling a authentic burst without actually having a real one for measuring. By that I'm saying that my '59 file that's available here are useless if your looking for an authentic -59.
    I will have a check through my files. I know the 50,s pickup spacing is different and that the actual rings on a 59 have arched bottoms which makes the pickups closer to the maple top.
    The original depth of the mahogany back after sanding and finishing 45.8 as the 3mm of mahogany is hiden under the binding.

I think I read that you digitized a carved top??

I would not give up if I were you :idea::idea:

Heres a little info which is missing from the cad model you supplied to the forum.

Trussrod access- 15.875mm dia cutter

tuner peg spacing is near enough to 1.375 inch.

The tone control cavity in the mahogany back needs modifying on the side touching the maple top. The side of the control cavity nearest the bridge is tapered.

Did you say you have a 53 gt??

Page 7 of 14 56789