586,102 active members*
2,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 6 1234

Re: PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My only DVD is rather old -- 1.7.2 !
    Install the version you have. Follow rdsi's instructions (see post #5) then update using a usb thumb drive.

1) Create a Linux, Ubuntu (32-bit) virtual machine with 2048 MB of memory.

2) You must create a “Fixed size” VDI disk image of 32GB.

You can install from the CD or an ISO image of it. Earlier releases of the PP CD were not VB aware. The installation will look for the MESA hardware & bomb out if not found. You can get around this by booting into the Ubuntu desktop – hold down the left shift-alt keys. Then edit the file:

“/home/operator/config_file.txt”

so that it contains 1 line of either:

~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe_sim.ini

or

~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_sim.ini

and save it.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My only DVD is rather old -- 1.7.2 !
    Looking at version 1.7.2 I do see the simulation files are present in their respective directories. So the above procedures should still work.
    Also, you don't really need an ISO copy to do the VB install. Within VB you can add a virtual CDROM mapped to your physical unit on the host.
    This will allow you to install PP directly from your CD. After you get it installed then do the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    "You do not have the permissions..."
    Yeah, been there ...

Pull up terminal in ubuntu desktop and execute the following:

$ sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf operator
    You'll have to reboot after that command for things to take effect.

Basically, it a permission thing whereas you being the predefined username "operator" need "vboxsf" group permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Yeah, been there ...

Basically, it a permission thing whereas you being the predefined username "operator" need "vboxsf" group permissions.

Thank you... that did it I can now use shared folders.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    It’s not documented by Tormach that I know about but PathPilot can run under Oracle’s VirtualBox. PP knows when this is happening & as such does not require the MESA hardware. In VirtualBox you setup a Linux machine to install PP into. After installation you can run PP and select the machine (one of the mill models or the lathe) you want to simulate & PP works just as if the machine were really attached.

I do this all the time and it’s very handy to test out code or write conversational routines right on my desktop where I do all my CAD/CAM.
    Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.
    Conversational is the main reason I want to run PathPilot right on my desktop computer. Sure beats standing at the mill in January when my shop is pretty cold.

The virtual machine can be cloned, copied and moved to another computer if needed.

Steve

Following your instructions, I have PP running in the VirtualBox Ubuntu, but it can't see any USB drives or, indeed, anything outside the virtual box. How can I get it to be able to see a USB drive?

Thanks! I'll try it as soon as an impatient customer is happy...

In the VirtualBox Manager click on "settings" then select "USB" , check the box to enable USB, then insert the USB key into you PC. Now you can add it to the list of USB devices available to PathPilot. Restart PathPilot and your should see it in the file manager. It might not be the best way but it worked for me.

I recommend using the shared folders.

Steve

That doesn't work for me. When I get to Settings/USB, the Enable USB controller box is checked, but whichever of the radio buttons I select, nothing appears in the USB Device Filters listbox. I can right-click on the listbox to get a choice of Add Empty Filter/AddFilter from Device, but the first gives me an empty filter that seems to do nothing, and the second shows a grayed-out <no devices available> box. This behavior does not vary when my USB flash drive is inserted before I start the sequence or at some time during it. What am I missing?

I'd be happy to use a shared folder instead of trying to talk to a USB drive, but I am missing something there too. I went to Settings/Shared Folders and selected a Windows folder, declaring it automount & permanent. I thought this might make it show up in the hosted PP as a USB drive (where else could it show up?), but it doesn't.

Check to see if you can see your shared folder in Ubuntu's file manager. I could see the shared folder in the file manager as a drive but could not access it because I was lacking permission. See rdsi's post #23. Linux is very different than windows isn't it.

I get

How do I define a group?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Yeah, that's the whole point of this exercise

Oracle VM VirtualBox allows you to run PathPilot in simulation mode on your Windows, MAC, or Linux desktop and it's absolutely free software.

In my use, so far, I have found that PathPilot running in simulation mode behaves exactly as the real thing - Very Cool ...

Some terms to help you understand this process are VirtualBox (VB) is a virtualization process - it allows you to simulated other operating systems (OS's) on your computer. The computer running VB is called the host and the OS being simulated is called the client. So VB is available for many different host desktops including Windows. You simply download VB for your host (make sure you also download the VirtualBox Extension Pack) and install it on your host (our Windows desktop). Once installed you run it using the "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" (the program) to create your client. VB refers to the client as a "machine". VB can create more than one machine but were only interested in ONE for PP.

So when you create this machine you actually install PP from the CD into it. When PP runs it checks to see if it's running in VB and then proceeds to ask what machine you would like to simulate. Tormach for whatever reasons has not documented this.

Yeah, there is a little bit of a learning curve with VB and Ubuntu (PP runs on Ubuntu) but I'm happy to see Steve303 got through it. I think it's well worth it.

As more people learn how to do this the more information we'll have to share about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    I get

How do I define a group?
    The issue is that you have not setup a shared folder in your machine settings yet. When you do this the "vboxsf" group will be created for you then the above command adds "operator" to the "vboxsf" group so you have permission to use it.

So go to the machine settings & select "Shared folders" to set one up first.

@rdsl
    Thanks for your persistent help, but I had set up a shared folder, to no avail. Here it is in the VBox parent

Here in the inactive PathPilot entity

and here seen after PP is being simulated

Now when I Ctrl-Alt-X to get the Ubuntu command line and enter the
    Code:
    line, I get the same group vboxsf does not exist response.

I've looked a little further. In PP, going in to Devices/Shared folders/Shared folder settings gets me

OK, I followed those instructions. Now VBOXADDITIONS_5.1.28_117968 appears in the USB list in PP's File tab, I can copy it to the PP main file list, and for that matter I notice that it is in that list already within the USB folder, but now what? Opening the VBOXADDITIONS_5.1.28_117968 folder, I see that it contains various Windows (and other) executables. Notwithstanding the instructions in the screenshot just above, should one or more of these be run in Windows?

I've looked a little further. In PP, going in to Devices/Shared folders/Shared folder settings gets me
    I think you missed installing the “Guest Additions” procedure in the above posts. That’s why you’re getting the “VirtualBox – Warning” about it not being available.

In the PP window there is a menu bar containing “File, Machine. View, Input, Devices, Help”. In the “Device” drop down menu select “Insert Guest Additions CD Image...”, then “OK” for “Open Autorun Prompt”. This should install them. Reboot the machine then apply:

Again, you need reboot the machine.

This should fix your issue ….

@rdsl
    In the PP window there is a menu bar containing “File, Machine. View, Input, Devices, Help”. In the “Device” drop down menu select “Insert Guest Additions CD Image...”, then “OK” for “Open Autorun Prompt”. This should install them. Reboot the machine then apply:

Again, you need reboot the machine.
    I've selected Insert Guest Additions CD Image in the Devices menu (several times now), but I've never seen Open AutoRun Prompt. Should it have appeared as soon as I selected Insert Guest Additions CD Image?

Should it have appeared as soon as I selected Insert Guest Additions CD Image?
    Yep, I don't know why sometimes it doesn't. So here's how to do it manually:

Reboot the machine into the Ubuntu desktop.
    Under the "Places" drop down you should see the "VBOXADDITIONS_5.1.xx..." next to the CDROM icon.
    Open it & double click "autorun.sh".
    Select "Run"
    For Password enter "operator" (Tormach user and password are both the same - "operator")
    Then click "Authenticate"
    This will install/reinstall the Guest Additions.

Reboot the machine.

If this doesn't get you going then something else is a muck...

@rdsi
    The only Ubuntu desktop I know how to get to is the one I get by Ctl-Alt-Xing out of PathPilot. That one's menu bar is just File/Edit/View/Terminal/Help. (no Places) I suspect there is a key combo that I should be holding down during the PathPilot boot to get me to a true-Ubuntu desktop as opposed to the Ubuntu-within-PP interface, but my suspicion doesn't get me anywhere.

I suspect there is a key combo that I should be holding down during the PathPilot boot to get me to a true-Ubuntu desktop
    Yeah that combination is the left “Shift” & “ALT” keys during the Tormach splash screen. If you read some of the previous posts they mention how to modify things so that you always boot into the Ubuntu desktop & create a desktop launcher for PP.

Once you’re in the Ubuntu desktop you’ll see the mentioned menu bar & can manually install the Guest Additions.

You’re almost there ...

Page 2 of 6 1234