586,110 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 6 3456

Re: PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

I've looked at the simulator's Operator/mill_data/tool.tbl file, and it has only a subset of the information that is visible from within the simulator. For example, the simulator has

but the pertinent section of the Operator/mill_data/tool.tbl file shows the OD, but not the description:

Is there another file with the descriptions?

The description is in a separate database rather than flat file. That is why I suggested that the ADMIN SETTINGS BACKUP command might be better. The tool table flat file together with the database are combined into a .zip for the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Also, I assume that you could use admin settings backup on one instance and admin settings restore on the other instance.
    That's the best solution. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    No idea. Someone from Tormach contacted me on FB because of the PP customization I've been working on. They suggested that I participate in the beta. That's all I know.
    A company that sees you are working on improvements to their product and instead of shunning you they invite you to participate and help them improve. Good to see. Three cheers for Tormach.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    No idea. Someone from Tormach contacted me on FB because of the PP customization I've been working on. They suggested that I participate in the beta. That's all I know.
    Is there an available screen editor for PathPilot like there is for Mach3?

I'm not experienced enough to give you a detailed answer, but I'd say no. The PP ui was done with glade. Really old versions of everything so it was hard to find installers. I tried to use it to modify PP but I found it cumbersome so I'm editing the files directly with Notepad ++ and Scribes. Hopefully PP 2.0 is using gtk3 and running on a newer version of linuxcnc, ubuntu, and glade. That might make it worthwhile to learn glade. I didnt know any of this 2 weeks ago, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Thanks for the info. I've heard of glade but have never touched it before.

I received the 2.0 beta USB yesterday. I dont see a reason to do another install video as there only a few differences in installing on a VB client.

- I couldnt get it to install on a 32 bit client. When you create your client, select 64 bit. All the other settings (memory and disk size) are the same

- VirtualBox doesnt allow you to boot to the USB for install. To get around that, you can download Plop Boot Manager (https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html) to your host. Extract the zip, then mount the iso (plpbt.iso) to your client as well as your usb drive. Start the client and select USB on the boot menu. The PP install is the same after that. Once the PP installer is finished, unmount plpbt.iso and restart.

- I didnt have to change the config file to tell PP to launch in sim mode.

That's it if you just want PP to run. If, however, you dont want PP to launch at startup there are a few more differences

- /usr/bin/mate-panel instead of /usr/bin/gnome-panel

- "Startup Applications" is now in All Applications

- To crate the PP launcher, use "mate-terminal -x bash -c "~/operator_login"

side note: Host shared folders no longer show up in PP
    EDIT: You can create a link to the hosts shared folders in your gcode directory. Open up terminal and run the following command. Change the share names to match yours

sudo ln -s /media/your_host_share_name /home/operator/gcode/whatever_name_here

Now when you go to the file tab in PP, you'll see your shared folder in the left window instead of the USB window. And now that I think about this, its probably a better way of doing it even in v1.9.13
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

What version of Ubuntu does the beta use?

kstrauss, no one is willing to say I guess! I would assume Debian Debian 7.0 Wheezy because that is what the current version of LCNC uses.

But there is also Debian 8.0 Jessie is from 2015 and Debian 9.0 is 2017.
    Machines: Grizzly G0704 Mill W/ 3-Axis DRO | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit PMDX-126/107 W/ESS 3ph W/ WJ200 VFD

So what is potentially new in path pilot 2.0 other than OS updated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoke with Tormach tech support. They said no state secret! PP 2.0 should be public in a couple weeks...
    Machines: Grizzly G0704 Mill W/ 3-Axis DRO | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit PMDX-126/107 W/ESS 3ph W/ WJ200 VFD

potentially silly question

In the simulator, PP doesn't "see" my USB stick with programs on it to test. How do I get it to "see" the USB or where do I copy files to on the HD for them to show up to load into PP
    Thx
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    potentially silly question

In the simulator, PP doesn't "see" my USB stick with programs on it to test. How do I get it to "see" the USB or where do I copy files to on the HD for them to show up to load into PP
    Thx
    M
    See post #29 for the USB Key. You also want to turn on Shared folders. Watch Sharmstr's video if you haven't.

Thanks, didn't see the bit about having to add the device
    M

Thanks for this info. I was able to install PP on my MacBook under Parallels, directly from the PP CD.

1. Created ISO file from PP CD using Disk Utility.
    2. Added VM in Parallels, selecting the ISO file as media.
    3. Set memory to 2GB and HDD to 32GB.
    4. Install ran from start to finish.
    5. Selected Mill, MESA error, hit ok.
    6. Restarted VM and held down Fn-LSHIFT-Alt at Tormach Splash Screen
    7. Changed config as noted and restarted VM.
    8. Everything is functional.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    There are a few things to be aware of:

1) Create a Linux, Ubuntu (32-bit) virtual machine with 2048 MB of memory.

2) You must create a “Fixed size” VDI disk image of 32GB.

You can install from the CD or an ISO image of it. Earlier releases of the PP CD were not VB aware. The installation will look for the MESA hardware & bomb out if not found. You can get around this by booting into the Ubuntu desktop – hold down the left shift-alt keys. Then edit the file:

“/home/operator/config_file.txt

so that it contains 1 line of either:

~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe_sim.ini

or

~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_sim.ini

and save it.

Reboot and thing should work right. Now update to one of the later versions of PP so you don’t have to mess with this anymore.

Also, you need to install the VB Guest Additions to get the screen size right and other features to work.

I also fixed it so that I always boot into the desktop rather directly into PP. Then I have a desktop launcher for PP. This launcher runs PP in a fixed size window on my VB desktop so that's why my screen shot looks the way it does.

Hope this helps ...

Tried to install PP 2.0 to Microsoft Hyper-V but no luck. Couldn't get it to bood from actual USB stick and could not manage to make a bootable iso from the stick. I did manag to boot PP 2.0 to a very old, unused laptop via the distribution USB stick to do simulation there. Problem is, I don't know which file to change to convince PP to ignore the controler. PP 1.9.13 works by changin the file
    /home/operator.config_file.txt. PP 2.0 doesn't seem to use this. Anybody have a clue as to what to change in PP 2.0 for the simulation to work on a laptop.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Has anyone tried to run PathPilot under Microsoft Hyper-V?
    How about running PP 2.0 natively on a PC in simulation mode? (no hardware connection). I got PP-1.9.13 working in simulation mode on a stand-alone laptop by making the file modifications mentioned elsewhere on this site but haven't been so lucky with PP-2.0. Looks like it has to do with convincing PP that the laptop is running Virtual Box. I looked at the operator_login script but wasn't able to convince the program to run in simulation mode for the mill. Any help would be appreciated. It's really nice to be able to try my home-brew g-code programs at home before crashing the real mill at work.

I think you can install PP2.0 on a PC without a MESA card and run it in sim mode by ctr+alt+s as the PC boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    I think you can install PP2.0 on a PC without a MESA card and run it in sim mode by ctr+alt+s as the PC boots.
    Steve303, Thanks for the input. Just tried ctrl-alt-s during boot and I still get the error message "NO ETHERNET LINK DETECTED. CHECK CABLING BETWEEN CONTROLLER AND MACHINE" at the PathPIlot splash screen. The only choice is Cancel and OK. Cancel reboots PathPilot and OK just gives the same message again. Maybe my system didn't install correctly if you all know this should work.Regards,

Page 5 of 6 3456