586,108 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathemaster Zay to cnc

Anyone convert the Lathemaster Zay mill to cnc? are there any kits available, is it even possible to do for about $1500 if not what what would i spend? Are there any links to a conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw paintbal View Post
    Anyone convert the Lathemaster Zay mill to cnc? are there any kits available, is it even possible to do for about $1500 if not what what would i spend? Are there any links to a conversion?
    I think any reasonable price to do cnc starts at about $1500 that size machine would more then likely be more for bigger motors. I don't know for sure but I am willing to bet the IH kit will work, but its alot more then $1500.

chris

Do a search on the Industrial Hobbies board here for cnc conversion. The zay mill is the same design as the ind hobbies mill other than the Ih has a longer table and some other minor differences. Dave

Hey Outlaw;
    I've converted my ZAY using the print package from Jeff at HomeCNC Technologies. Very simple and striaght forward conversion. The plan package even has the part numbers from McMaster. I looked at "kits" but the 3 - 4 K was outside my (lump-sum) budget. By DIY, I was able to spread the build over a couple of months so the cost didn't hurt very much!!! BTW, I only used Jeff's plans for the X and Y axis. The Z I designed myself. Pretty simple but remember, your are moving a 250# head so size everything accordingly (big ball screw).
    Good Luck.
    I'll attemp to attach a shot of my mill in it's almost finished form. Sorry, don't have a current shot here at work!
    Bill from Spartanburg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathemaster.jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)