Hello,
I'm hoping I can get a basic or even better a detailed explanation of how Lost Foam Ceramic coated metal casting is done. The reason is my son is a last year at NorthEastern (Mechanical Engineer major) and has a elective class for welding and metal casting. His instructor wants them to do a "Multiples" casing of the same part. So the plan is to make a number of Positive masters from Foam and coat with ceramic for casting. The item is going to be a somewhat fancy shelve bracket. Since I have the CNC machine at my shop we are doing the machining of the masters . So allow me to kick this off with all the NooB questions. The better I understand the entire process I feel the better the foam master will come out: Rest assured I will NOT be doing the casting but will be done at the Mass Art Institute shop under proper supervision.

1- What foam is normally used for this process. I was thinking Dow Hi-Load 100 or even 40. What about Core-cell?

2- Are the foam masters machined with included pour tubes and vent tubes?

3- How are the foam masters coated with Ceramic? What is the process? Dipped multi times, Brush on? Sprayed on?

4- How are the coated masters supported for the pour process. Some kind of stand, jig? Master machined in one large unit for a large single pour?

5- How is the foam removed once coated. Baked out with oven? Pour in acetone and melt? Let the hot liquid metal blow it out? Just curious.

6- How is the ceramic removed after pour and cooled. Just beat it off with a hammer?

I'm sure I have missed a lot but look forward to learn how this is done.

Thanks

Steve in Maine