586,106 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig Mill, a few problems

Hello folks. So I've been trolling around here for a while, and people sure seem to know their stuff, so I thought I'd ask for some help.

I bought a Taig mill second hand from a guy down in Echo Park. It looked OK, seemed to move around OK, although I didn't cut anything with it set up as a manual machine.

I purchased the IM Service kit and installed it. I have their old style kit, without the timing belts, the servos mount straight to the leadscrews ends. Some part of it are a little... archaic. The misalignment coupling is based around some little pieces of stiff plastic tubing. And the motor mounts are a bit ramshackle, hard to describe.

The problem is that I notice there is a squeak in both my X and Y axes.
    I know this is difficult to troubleshoot without more pictures; right now the thing is set up in my parent's garage, so hopefully I'll do a more in-depth analysis of it prob and post some pics next weekend.
    I've also noticed that it was pretty bad when it came to cutting. Lots of vibration and ragged edges. A fair number of faults, too. To be fair, the machine was only bolted down to a crappy recycled desk.
    I lightly turned the screws for the gibb adjustment, to see if they were loose, and they sure were.
    It drill's very nicely, though, probably due to all the weight in the motor. I guess

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Has anyone experience this problem before? I'm guessing I might have screwed up my bearings somehow. Hopefully the end of my leadscrew isn't bent
    2) How do I adjust the gibbs on a Taig mill?
    3) What do you folks use as base plates for your Taig and Sherline mills?
    4) Should I just bite the bullet now and design a nice timing belt reduced drive, and live with super slow feed rates?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by apullin View Post
    Hello folks. So I've been trolling around here for a while, and people sure seem to know their stuff, so I thought I'd ask for some help.

I bought a Taig mill second hand from a guy down in Echo Park. It looked OK, seemed to move around OK, although I didn't cut anything with it set up as a manual machine.

I purchased the IM Service kit and installed it. I have their old style kit, without the timing belts, the servos mount straight to the leadscrews ends. Some part of it are a little... archaic. The misalignment coupling is based around some little pieces of stiff plastic tubing. And the motor mounts are a bit ramshackle, hard to describe.

The problem is that I notice there is a squeak in both my X and Y axes.
    I know this is difficult to troubleshoot without more pictures; right now the thing is set up in my parent's garage, so hopefully I'll do a more in-depth analysis of it prob and post some pics next weekend.
    I've also noticed that it was pretty bad when it came to cutting. Lots of vibration and ragged edges. A fair number of faults, too. To be fair, the machine was only bolted down to a crappy recycled desk.
    I lightly turned the screws for the gibb adjustment, to see if they were loose, and they sure were.
    It drill's very nicely, though, probably due to all the weight in the motor. I guess

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Has anyone experience this problem before? I'm guessing I might have screwed up my bearings somehow. Hopefully the end of my leadscrew isn't bent
    2) How do I adjust the gibbs on a Taig mill?
    3) What do you folks use as base plates for your Taig and Sherline mills?
    4) Should I just bite the bullet now and design a nice timing belt reduced drive, and live with super slow feed rates?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Goto www.cartertools.com

You can find almost all your answers there they also have parts breakdowns save any kit from a third party. The coupling style you are refering to is used often with success. Chatter can be from multiple problems, a better description of what, how, and how you are cutting would help. Stuipd question but did you lubricate it? Most people mount them to a bench of some decent weight, typically made of particale or plywood.

chris

Well, I'll get some pictures and maybe video of how its working.

I lubed the leadscrews with some grease I found in the school shop. Its fairly heavy, red stuff (moly grease I guess?).

Thanks for that link, it looks like quite wealth of information.
    I think I might get some tool holders from a2zcnc.com and not rely on the teeny little collets for striaghtness (I have the old style,not the ER16 headstock).

For a basis of comparison, what kind of cut should I be able to do without too many problems? 1/4" by 0.05 deep in aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by apullin View Post
    I lubed the leadscrews with some grease I found in the school shop. Its fairly heavy, red stuff (moly grease I guess?).

For a basis of comparison, what kind of cut should I be able to do without too many problems? 1/4" by 0.05 deep in aluminum?

Make sure the slides are lubed with oil (Taig says to use ATF, which is fine, I use way oil). Grease isn't the best, and if you use grease on the screws, use a light grease, not a heavy grease.

As for cuts, a lot depends on the imserv servos, I've heard different opinions on how well they work with the Taig. There is a group dedicated to the Taig (linked from my page) that is best for getting answers from.

Take some time going over the gib adjustments and tramming, really take the time to understand what you are doing, etc (refer to the two setup articles on my site)
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com