Time to start a new project.

I recently acquired this BP (not sure what year it is yet), and plan to do a mild restoration and controller upgrade. It's actually nicer in person than pics show. I've been scouring the CNCzone archives and found a lot of information about a variety of retrofit/conversions. Seems most of the threads are a few years old. Anyone currently upgrading their BP??

I don't have some lofty goal of trying to make a modern VMC (out of a 30+ year old BP) with 200ipm rapids, etc. etc... I'm fully aware of this machines abilities and inabilities, and where it's place will be within my little shop. That being said, my initial plans are:

1. A thorough cleaning/inspection - repair/replace as necessary.

2. Paint.

3. Here's the area of debate - I want to reuse the original steppers (they do work nicely), and add a new power supply and controller.

The controller I want to use is the new Centroid Acorn. That leaves drives/power supplies to be determined. Seems that some are more than happy with Geckos, others swear by these; https://www.automationtechnologiesin...stepper-drive/ ....any others?

4. Possibly replace the AC spindle motor/vari speed assembly with a servo of some sort and 1:1 pulleys - to be determined.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd
Orange, CA