586,042 active members*
3,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Knurling on a swiss machine

Would anyone have any ideas on knurling 5/32 3-16 stainless. I am trying to knurl on an older miyano with a Fanuc controll. My process includes facing the part, start drill, 2 other drills, the knurler and a cut-off. I started by feeding the material thru the front of the knurler but i ended up with one side of the knurler cutting deeper. I have also tried feeding the knurler down on top of the material and it seemed to get a little better but the diamonds still dont look right. spindle speed is about s400 and i'm feeding at .005 per rev.

I have some experience with knurling albeit very little.

What I do with knurling where I work I lower the tool down onto the piece depending on the number of teeth you want to knurl stainless does not like to form well and you'll end up getting a rounded point on the top part of the spline. The customer that we knurl for mostly do not seem to mind that the knurl does not form 100%. May just be for his application. Best tips I can give you is use a dwell of .5-1 second when you plunge the tool into the material. Also read up on speeds and feeds of knurling to give you a basic idea of what is involved.

Oh by the way this was done on 303 stainless.

hope this helps

If you are knurling the od and the id is already drilled you will get flat spots on parts of your knurl and it will have a tough time getting full. Try knurling first and then doing your id work (if possible). And increase your feed. I use rpm of 1500-2000 and a feed of .017. You don't want your knurl on to long.

When knurling you need to keep a few things in mind. Probably the most important is making sure that your knurling tool height is centered on the part. This is sometimes difficult to do, but well worth it when you get a beautiful knurl done. The next tip is the pre-knurl outer diameter. I generally set my knurling tool .015 smaller than my stock O.D. when doing a 96 DP knurl. Having the knurling tool set too small will cause a change as you move accross your part because it will actually be forcing the knurling tool open. Next would be to make sure you have lots of quality coolant flooding the knurling wheels. When I knurl stainless I usually set my RPM at 750 and my feed around .005 in/rev. Just make sure you take your time setting up because there are no shortcuts when knurling stainless. Good Luck!