586,075 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Update Control lathe

Hi, I have 5 Boxford ACL cnc lathes that I would like to run from a PC using Mach3 etc. I believe they run of servo motors and linear scales instead of encoders.for those who have no idea what these machines look like ther is one on Ebay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOXFORD-CNC-25...QQcmdZViewItem

If anyone can help or take on the job of converting one machine then I will give them one for free.they are good machines we have produced over a million components on one machine alone but the old ANC control has let us down.
    I have the schematics but dont know much about electronics and dont have much time.I need to know the best approach for this job ie. new steppers or keep the servos and add encoders and so on.
    I live in Scotland

schematics photos here
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3667
    BR

Looks a beefy little beast, How come it is described as 'Slant Bed'?
    Unless I am not seeing the pic's right.
    BTW, I would keep the servo's if you already have them.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I agree with Al_The_Man defiantly keep the servos if they are still ok and look for replacement drivers. I am no expert on servo systems other wise I would take up your offer and I’m at the other end of the country.

Have a look @ Motion Control Products limited I am sure they will help you out. Another alternative is Gecko drives which you will find lots of information about on the cnczone.

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/

EDIT: I should have added if you sort out the correct components and get a wiring diagram a good electrician will be able to wire everything up for you at a lot less than giving away a lathe. :END EDIT

Good luck

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Thanks CNCKits.
    As said try and keep the servos if they still work, and if it is just the controller and not the drivers that are broke the conversion will not be that hard, but you will need to find out if the drivers are analogue (+/- 10V) or digital (Clock and Direction)
    If analogue you will either need a converter to go from +/-10 to clock and direction or look at new drivers.
    What are the motors, brushed or brushless? If they are brushed the Gecko G320 is a good cheap option, but you may be restricted by the resolution of the linear slides? (too high resolution)
    If brushless then we can offer drivers but will need more info.
    We can also offer a complete CNC controller that accepts Gcode from Mach 3 for about £1200, and this will work with either analogue or digital drivers.
    This may be an expensive option, but worth thinking about, because you will be only changing the controller if the drivers are still ok?

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com...ew/page99.html
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

Thanks for the replies
    AL is right the lathe advertised is not a slant bed this is a mistake by the guy who is selling it . its a Boxford ACL lathe with a boxford update and they are really good for the size we have manufactured quite a few varied jobs on it one being part of the packaging an aluminium plinth for "The Glenrothes Whiskey" bottle.(looks like an aluminium ashtray) we turned about 500,000 of them.I will look at my options over the weekend and get in touch with the guys who have replied.I also have 2 Boxford 125 lathes and a small Conect Cadet running off Mach 3 with touch screen monitors turning pipe connectors for Petrol Dispensors for filling stations
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by bbrreid View Post
    we have manufactured quite a few varied jobs on it one being part of the packaging an aluminium plinth for "The Glenrothes Whiskey" bottle.(looks like an aluminium ashtray) we turned about 500,000 of them.
    Did they supply any sample bottles for 'test' purposes?:wee:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Unfortunenatly no
    BR

AL is right the lathe advertised is not a slant bed this is a mistake by the guy who is selling it . its a Boxford ACL lathe with a boxford update and they are really good for the size we have manufactured quite a few varied jobs on it one being part of the packaging an aluminium plinth for "The Glenrothes Whiskey" bottle.(looks like an aluminium ashtray) we turned about 500,000 of them.

Thanks for the information about the lathes; we will be looking to purchase a similar machine in the near future.

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

John,
    if I can help in any other way just call
    Brian
    Reid Engineering
    Dundee
    01382 889990
    BR

John,
    if I can help in any other way just call
    Brian
    Reid Engineering
    Dundee
    01382 889990
    Thanks for the kind offer I may just do that.

Regards,
    John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Just an update
    Ive been getting some help from the mach 3 news group guys and on one of my lathes the motors and drives are working but not the control. a Skyko pixi was suggested for the 10v + - for the parallel input to talk to the PC and Mach3
    the motors are SEM type 304E-52 max RPM 2700 Volts 140 Pulse amps 13
    Tacho 9.5 volts/1000 RPM Perm. Magnetmotor
    The drives are Norwin servo drives with 95 Volts input.
    the question is do I fit Gecko or Skyko. I have had no reply from Gecko about there drives matching my motors so I cant go any further and have to watch my small back up machine take twice as long to turn my job.I have heard Rutex have some problems and I need to order somthing now to get my machine up and running.
    anyone help
    cheers
    Brian
    BR

What encoders are you using?
    Are you fitting encoders to the motor or using the existing linear encoders?
    Just an update
    Ive been getting some help from the mach 3 news group guys and on one of my lathes the motors and drives are working but not the control. a Skyko pixi was suggested for the 10v + - for the parallel input to talk to the PC and Mach3
    the motors are SEM type 304E-52 max RPM 2700 Volts 140 Pulse amps 13
    Tacho 9.5 volts/1000 RPM Perm. Magnetmotor
    The drives are Norwin servo drives with 95 Volts input.
    the question is do I fit Gecko or Skyko. I have had no reply from Gecko about there drives matching my motors so I cant go any further and have to watch my small back up machine take twice as long to turn my job.I have heard Rutex have some problems and I need to order somthing now to get my machine up and running.
    anyone help
    cheers
    Brian

Hi Hignog,
    a bit of both some machines I have are fitted with linear scales and the others have encoders on the end of the lead screws.just to explain I have only ever used one of the machines the others I have never had running and I am trying to refurbish them because it seems a waste to scrap them,someone could get the use out of them.when running they are a very good machine due to the servo motors fast and acurate
    BR

ok, the existing encoders will most likely be too high line count to work with the G320, so it is most likely best to use the existing drivers and use clock and direction to +/-10V converter, but i suspect you wont get the best positional accuracy or repeatability form it.
    If your encoders were about 500 line i would look at getting some cheap drivers that accepted clock and direction, or look for a new controller.
    What make is the controller? I know Denfords now usethe baldor next move controller on most of their machines now.

Hi Hignog,
    a bit of both some machines I have are fitted with linear scales and the others have encoders on the end of the lead screws.just to explain I have only ever used one of the machines the others I have never had running and I am trying to refurbish them because it seems a waste to scrap them,someone could get the use out of them.when running they are a very good machine due to the servo motors fast and acurate

http://www.adolph-numerical.co.uk/
    thats the one fitted to all Boxford ACL's (ANC)
    Just the usual great when working nightmare when not
    cheers
    Brian
    BR