586,103 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Booting Up BDI 4.51

After successfulling conquering some hardware, cd, and learning curve issues I was able to install BDI 4.51 with EMC.

After the install was complete, I was notified that the install was successful and to reboot to start.

SO I rebooted - switched the bios to seek out the IDE-0 disk for the bootsource and I got the following prompt

loading boot record from IDE-0..OK
    | (<----blinking cursor)

And there she sat for several hours (overnight actually) and I never successfully booted up.

I reinstalled BDI several times to make sure I was not missing anything. The only thing I did not have on install was a mouse and I instructed the system to go without one.

After each install, I got the same success message , promptly rebooted and the same mesage as above and a hung system.

I went over to Linuxquestions.org and inquired there and did a whole lot of web resaerch and seem to be no smarter for trying.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Brian G.

I can't answer the booting problem.. But I have to ask why bdi?

You can go to http://www.linuxcnc.org/ and download the emc2 live cd and install it. It has much more flexability. Plus I just love the axis gui.

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    I can't answer the booting problem.. But I have to ask why bdi?

Good question. My original problems led me to chosing this distro. I have an older system (P233 with 256ram) and first attempts at installing it failed leading me to older less hardware demanding versions.

Having said that, I may try and go back and try it again.

If all else fails, I will load up freeDOS and run the DOS version. Its time to get turning. Of course that assumes I have time between the new job, travel, honey doos and Kid time. Guess thats why its a hobby.

Thanks all

Brian

I haven't gone through a recent BDI install so this might not be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    After successfulling conquering some hardware, cd, and learning curve issues I was able to install BDI 4.51 with EMC.

After the install was complete, I was notified that the install was successful and to reboot to start.
    Most distros at some point ask about the installation of the boot loader. This has to be done. In any event how far through the boot process are you actually getting? If the boot loader isn't starting you may have issue with how you are doing the install.

SO I rebooted - switched the bios to seek out the IDE-0 disk for the bootsource and I got the following prompt

loading boot record from IDE-0..OK
    | (<----blinking cursor)
    Does it appear to be loading the boot loader? if not you might want to make sure the install process has added the boot loader to the disk. If you are installing to an IDE disk you should install the boot loader to disk and not a partition. At least on most Linux distros that is the place to put it.

And there she sat for several hours (overnight actually) and I never successfully booted up.
    If it takes more than 5 minutes for Linux to start up there is something very wrong.

I reinstalled BDI several times to make sure I was not missing anything. The only thing I did not have on install was a mouse and I instructed the system to go without one.
    Are you doing the same exact thing each time. If so that may be your problem. When the installer get to the part where it installs the boot loader pay attention to the options.

After each install, I got the same success message , promptly rebooted and the same mesage as above and a hung system.
    Everything is likely on disk correctly, I suspect a configuration issue with the bootloader.

I went over to Linuxquestions.org and inquired there and did a whole lot of web resaerch and seem to be no smarter for trying.
    You might look for the online Linuxcnc resources. Ask Questions there.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Brian G.
    Best of luck.

Dave

If all else fails, try CoolCNC. This is PuppyLinux with EMC2 and Axis. Runs as a liveCD and can save itself to the CDRom you burn the ISO to.

http://dotpups.de/isos/coolcncb05.iso

RipperSoftware

I had the same problem on New Hardware

I tried to load both Ubuntu and Debian on a new Core2Duo Mother board. I could not get it to boot either. I got out an old 400 Mghz Celeron with 512 Meg Memory with a Maxtor Hard Drive MSI Video Card. This board is from Abit. You can find them cheap at Pawn, ebay places.

It booted with no problem on the Ubuntu Live Disk and Debian and runs my cnc router pretty good. If you want to keeep trying you current box. Make sure the Boot sector of you hard disk is clean. You can use the utility tools from the disk Mfg.

Grub Needs to write there. I think it has to do with either the HDisk or the motherboard bios.

K