586,106 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Did I buy the wrong motors?

Hi guys, I received me motors, controller and power supply today that I will be using for my Rockcliff router but I think I may have not done my homework properly. The unit I got was a used steppeworld SP3 controller with power supply, resistors and 3 stepper motors. Looking at the motors however I think they may be to small for what I want to do. They are Japan Servo with these specs: Unipolar / 2 phases 6 Volts DC (nom) 1.2 Amps / Phase (nom) 2.4 Amps / Motor 1.8 Degree/Step 80 oz/Inch 6 wires. I wan't to use the Rockcliff to router 6x10 wood signs. Are these motors undersized for the job? I think I should have gone with 190 oz in? Thanks for any advice.

Nyd,

Is that 6 x 10 inches or feet?

If it's the former, then the 80 oz-in motors might work, assuming you keep the gantry light and use ball-screws to minimize friction. If you're really proposing to run a large router with these tiny motors, then you'll have to gear them down so far that you'll hardly notice when it's moving. For a big router, look into big steppers (34 frame) or better yet, servo motors.

Hi sorry about that, it is in fact 6x10 inches. Thanks.

If you are using 1/4 - 20 all thread rod these motors should work. Personally I would have purchased the hobbycnc kit with at least the 127 oz/inch motors.

Jason

I am using 1/4 - 20 rod as per the design specs. Am I going to be limited to what I can do using these motors or does the finishing router have something to do with how the machine operates? I am thinking of using a dewilt or a rotozip with the variable speed settings. Would that be ok for this machine or should I be looking at a different type of router? Thanks for helping a super newbie.

Nyd.

Those motors should work just fine, but I would not use a rotozip they can't hold up to the long running times because of the plastic fan they use in it.

What would you recommend I use? Would a similar dewilt type of finishing tool work? Thanks.

Nyd.

Quote Originally Posted by nydheart View Post
    What would you recommend I use? Would a similar dewilt type of finishing tool work? Thanks.

Nyd.
    I not sure of the construction of Dewalt trim router but from what I have read about them they are far better then a Rotozip.

I hve been using a dewalt laminte trimmr for about 4 years on my 24" x 36" table and it has held up great with no problems so far. I make wooden signs. cutting 1/8" to 3/16" deep with the occasional cutout.