586,508 active members*
3,309 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Panasonic AC Servo Motor....I think????

Panasonic AC Servo Motor....I think????

I have been looking for an excuse to build a CNC machine to "play" with at home for years now, and finally got my first pieces of hardware. I got two 50mm x 1800mm ground rails, four HUGE bearing blocks, various optical sensors (probably won't use those), a 5' long ballscrew and 'nut', and the motor that drove the ballscrew....that is where I need some help. I know how to get steppers and contollers and such to make it work, but if I don't have to spend the $ on a powerful stepper to drive this size screw, I don't want to. I figure this motor drove it in it's original machine, why can't it do that for mine? The motor in question is a Panasonic M9RC90GB4L. The label says:
    90W 4P 30min 30(micro?)F
    100V 50hz 1.7A 1200RPM
    100V 60hz 2.0A 1500RPM
    Brake Tourque 4kgcm

It also has a geabox on it. On the gearbox it says:
    Panasonic M9GC
    18B

I think there is an encoder on this motor because there are wires going into the end opposite the gearbox, along with the wires going into the front.

I am unsure if the specified RPM range is before or after the gearbox, but this is the motor that ran the screw. I also got another motor from the same machine, however, it drove a set of steel rollers that either fed parts into or out of the machine.

That motor is:
    Induction Motor
    Oriental Motor (OM)
    K560A-60
    100v 50/60hz 15(micro?)F
    1.4A
    21.7/25.8 RPM
    197/166 Kgcm

Now, this may be a stupid question but, if I were to get an AC power supply that could deliver 100v at 10amps or more, would that give these motors the power they need to run and the motor controller tells it which way and how far? Obviously, I am no electrician....the mechanics is my area. I guess I just need to know if I should toss these or keep them. Any help is greatly helpful.

Mick

They both appear to be synchronous motors, not really suited to any kind of variable control.
    The first also looks like it has a 30min rating.
    They are good for precise one speed only.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Does 30min mean 30 minutes? Presice...good. Single spped...bad. Guess I will probably be going with steppers then...besides, steppers would propably be easier to get help if needed instead of x motor with y drive and c motor with f drive and so on. I was looking at the Gecko 200..everything in one box. If I am going to use this machine to do light-duty metal machining, what size/how stron of steppers would people suggest? I am thinking of somewhere in the neigborhood of 1000+oz/in.

Mick