586,270 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Table tray for coolant/swarf protection....

Table tray for coolant/swarf protection....

I have a Syil X2 and KDNTOOL XJ-95. The tables are about the same width.

I've had concerns with the amount of coolant and swarf running over the ways and screws, as well as the coolant and chips packing the T slots.

So, I made a table cover, and so far, I REALLY like it. It keeps almost all the coolant and chips off of the ways. You still need bellows, but this makes the bellows have to deal with ALOT less, and it is cheaper than full coverage bellows.

For more pictures and comments, check out:

http://www.jeffalbro.net/cnc/table-tray/

-Jeff

That looks nice, and I'd be glad to never have to clean my T-slots again, but do you have any noise/resonance issues with that thin steel sheet?

I've done flycutting, engraving, and milling on it, and I haven't found an increase in noise.

Some thing I need to add to the web page... you DO get some coolant through the edges of the bolt holes into the table if you don't seal it, but I have a drainage hole at the end of the table, so it's not a problem.

-Jeff

Glad to hear it works well - coolant always gets everywhere you thought it couldn't

Do you only every use a vice on your table, or are you going to make a tray per setup? Also, isn't there a danger of rust forming from the little coolant that does get through if you've permanently got that tray on there?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post

Do you only every use a vice on your table, or are you going to make a tray per setup? Also, isn't there a danger of rust forming from the little coolant that does get through if you've permanently got that tray on there?
    I just use the vise. If I had to, I would pull the tray and run a job without it.

I've made some vise mounted pallets for some jobs.

There is a danger of rust, but I haven't seen any under the vise even after several months when I wasn't using the tray. Only some staining.

So, I'm not going to worry about it. Time will tell.

-Jeff

What thickness of stainless did you use? I am very interested in making one for my Taig. Any advice to someone who is going to make it themselves?

I *think* it was about 16 gauge. But as it isn't structural, just about anything will work.

I had my welder make it for $50. If you have a shear, corner notcher, and bending brake, it should be a piece of cake. If you don't, you could probably do it with a jig saw, a vise, and a hammer, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I used a hand held drill to make the vise bolt holes.

-Jeff

I moved the try to my other mill today, and did find a little bit of rust. I used a bunch more rust protectant on the other mill. Hopefully, that will fix things.

-Jeff

Coolant tray

Here is a coolant tray I designed and had made. Interested? I can have it customized for your machine. The unique thing is the upper left and right sides make it easy to run large work, there are windows in each side to make it easy to run longer tubes.

The links to the pictures on your site are broken.....

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    I have a Syil X2 and KDNTOOL XJ-95. The tables are about the same width.

I've had concerns with the amount of coolant and swarf running over the ways and screws, as well as the coolant and chips packing the T slots.

So, I made a table cover, and so far, I REALLY like it. It keeps almost all the coolant and chips off of the ways. You still need bellows, but this makes the bellows have to deal with ALOT less, and it is cheaper than full coverage bellows.

For more pictures and comments, check out:

» Mill Table Tray Jeff Albro

-Jeff

it seams a lot of work to avoid using a wet and dry vac.

do you not run it to issues of reach / clearance and rigidity when machining high up in a vice.

I do use a wet dry vac, but this keeps the shop clean and saves a ton of money on coolant. No issues with rigidity as it just sits there.

Btw if you dont have rust on your table after using a tray, you are just lucky. I have used that way and it worked decent but made tool changes more difficult and did get rust and staining if not removed often. After trying many different ways of swarf and coolant control finally I went and got a quote from the local sheet metal shop a couple of blocks away. For a base tray similar to Hoss' in 16 gauge with angle sides was quoted at 135.00. I plan on mounting 80/20 sides and retracting door. Supposed to be ready by friday but I have a few changes to give them, such as chip tray of some sort. Pictures soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtlWrx View Post
    Here is a coolant tray I designed and had made. Interested? I can have it customized for your machine. The unique thing is the upper left and right sides make it easy to run large work, there are windows in each side to make it easy to run longer tubes.