586,075 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tetanus

Tetanus

Anybody ever gotten it? Just curious, I need to get my shot! I've been overdue for abotu a year now!

Quote Originally Posted by buccilli15 View Post
    Anybody ever gotten it? Just curious, I need to get my shot! I've been overdue for abotu a year now!
    Isn't Tetanus one of those diseases your heirs have to tell people you got?

Quote Originally Posted by buccilli15 View Post
    John Roebling got his foot caught between a pier and a barge. Not being a believer in modern medicine, he soaked his foot in a bucket of salt water. He soon died of tetanus (AKA lockjaw).

For those who are not familiar with Roebling's name, he was the designer and builder (well, he started it, anyway, before he died) of the Brooklyn Bridge.

So, yes, someone has gotten it.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Tetanus is a fatal disease that still occurs. If you work around metal, be sure and get your booster shots on time. You will only get Tetanus once at least... then they bury you.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Tetanus only kills 11% of victims, primarily among the elderly, drug users and those never vaccinated. It is now quite rare (in the US anyway). If you are worried about it, a booster is needed at most every 10 years.

Don't know about your location but here if you go in for stitchs or any other open wound the first question they ask is how old is your Tetanus shot. If you hesitate you have your update automatically. Been there and it seems like they have one loaded just for me.
    John

its a good idea to have the shot especially in a shop atmosphere where we are always cutting ourselves
    i think the shot is good for 7 yrs

Lockjaw? aren't those them rather nifty pliers?

http://www.lockjawpliers.com/

Oh, you meant the bacterial infection... sorry :0
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

If hiring a new employee would it be wise or legal to ask if they have an up to date Tetanus vaccination and to require they do be for employment?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdoggy View Post
    If hiring a new employee would it be wise or legal to ask if they have an up to date Tetanus vaccination and to require they do be for employment?
    Uhh.. no.. thats just stupid and would probably result in you getting your ass sued off for discrimination of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by MFassler View Post
    Uhh.. no.. thats just stupid and would probably result in you getting your ass sued off for discrimination of employment.
    As an EMT, I've been asked to either have a hepatitis B shot at the company's expense or sign a waiver. That is common practice.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Cool Prognosis for Tetanus depends...

on the type ( final location of infection). The most common type of infection is 25% to 50% fatal. Also, boosters are every 10 years, not 7. For 13 years I was a respiratory therapist and I only saw 2 cases in the hospital , both were in bad shape from respiratory failure. One died. The other lived but had alot of problems afterwards. Get the shot or booster. If you are interested check out this site for more detail.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tetanus/page10_em.htm

Steve.

I think that you would have to be extremely unlucky to "peg out" as a result of tetanus.

Tetanus Surveillance --- United States, 1998--2000

F. Brian Pascual, M.P.H.
    Emily L. McGinley, M.P.H.
    Lynn R. Zanardi, M.D.
    Margaret M. Cortese, M.D.
    Trudy V. Murphy, M.D.
    Epidemiology and Surveillance Division
    National Immunization Program

Abstract
    Problem/Condition: Tetanus is a severe and often fatal infection. The incidence of reported cases in the United States has declined steadily since introduction of tetanus toxoid vaccines in the 1940s.

Reporting Period: This report covers surveillance data for 1998--2000.

Description of System: Physician-diagnosed cases of tetanus were reported to CDC's National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System. Supplemental clinical and epidemiologic information were provided by states.

Results and Interpretation: During 1998--2000, an average of 43 cases of tetanus was reported annually; the average annual incidence was 0.16 cases/million population. The highest average annual incidence of reported tetanus was among persons aged >60 years (0.35 cases/million population), persons of Hispanic ethnicity (0.37 cases/million population), and older adults known to have diabetes (0.70 cases/million population). Fifteen percent of the cases were among injection-drug users. The case-fatality ratio was 18% among 113 patients with known outcome; 75% of the deaths were among patients aged >60 years. No deaths occurred among those who were up-to-date with tetanus toxoid vaccination. Seventy-three percent of 129 cases with known injury information available reported an acute injury; of these, only 37% sought medical care for the acute injury, and only 63% of those eligible received tetanus toxoid for wound prophylaxis.

Really unlucky actually,

Best Wishes,

Martin

Last time I went to see a doctor was to remove a chip from my eye. Doc asked after the procedure it was a metal chip right? When was your last tetanus shot, the rust can cause you problems. I didnt remember when I had a shot but I told him not to worry with the shot, it was stainless steel. He gave me a shot..

I had a tetnus shot about a month ago. The doctor told me that the new jab lasts for life. I'd never heard this before. Can anyone confirm? (oh, this is in the UK)
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Unless you guys have something new over there...

...its boosters every 10 yrs still.

"The initial series for non-immunized adults involves three doses of Tdap:

The first and second doses are given four to eight weeks apart.

The third dose is given six months after the second.

Booster doses are required every 10 years after that.

In children, the immunization schedule calls for five doses of DTaP.

One dose is given at 2, 4, 6, and 15-18 months of age.

This DTaP series is completed with a final dose when the child is between 4-6 years of age.

Additional boosters with Tdap are given every 10 years after the final DTaP dose. Children that miss doses of DTaP can be given Tdap doses, but the choice for dose schedule should be determined by the patients' doctor.
    People who are not completely immunized and have a tetanus-prone wound should receive a tetanus booster in addition to tetanus antibodies (human tetanus immune globulin or TIG). The tetanus antibodies (TIG) will provide short-term protection against the disease. For patients sensitive to the combined vaccines (DTaP or Tdap), other vaccines against tetanus are available (for example, Td), but the patients' doctor should determine the dosage schedule.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tetanus/page10_em.htm
    ":nono:
    Steve.

Mmmm....I went for jabs a few weeks ago, Typhoid incidentially, and was asked when I last had Tetanus, it was about 8 years ago and she said it was good for another two.