586,058 active members*
3,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > How are these made:`

How are these made:`

So,

I am working on something that is basically an injection molded part that is liquid filled.. I was wondering if anyone knew how they do this.

The parts are sort of like these.

Thanks!
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

some sort of co-molding type stuff? multi-injectors? remolding?

any ideas where to read about this stuff, if no specifics come to mind?
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Is the vial not a seperate part?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ultrasonic welding or gule is used in 90% of what is shown. Look for gates, ejector pins, and parting lines. The rest is easy.

the parts are to be different than these shown, but liquid filled in a similar way. So, ultrasonic welding? They are first molded, then filled, then ultrasonic waves melt the plastic and close the liquid injection point? All in the same process? All in 1 mold?

I don't have to design the mold or anything, just 1 or more processes that can lead to those parts being made. It is for a friend, he just wants some advice so he doesn't seem dumb when talking to patent attorneys.

Anything more specific? Should I call some IJ shops and ask what they would do?

Thanks for the replies so far,
    Robert
    Design & Development

I know this is a really late reply, don't know if you have the answer or not yet.

I used to make levels for a very big company that sold precision levels for the carpentry industry. (Kinda like the snap on of the framing industry)

The frames were made out of alum including the frames to hold the bubble in.
    the only piece of plastic was the bubble it self.

we machined them on a cnc lathe in a fixture that I built.
    the OD was around.
    since we did 10's of thousands of these the first few though took a while to get perfect and dials in with the proper tooling.

I ended up using 2 tools, one was a drill with a few steps and angles on it. this would drill the hole basicaly rough the hole.
    Then I designed a boring bar with to groove cutters on the other side.
    I would bore the predrilled hole then move in the -x position to do the grooves.
    On a omni turn the whole proccess tool 18-20 seconds including part change time.
    the whole key to this was to balance the part fixure to 3500 rpms.

We found it cheaper to have the round slugs cut out of flat stock with a hole saw in an outside process rather than doing it ourselves.

the other this is finish the finish is real critical, you need to vent the drill and boring bar ( with a diamond cut off wheel on a surface grinder) then make a alum sleev to press fit on the tools so coolant would shoot through the cuts to the tips of the tool.

Keroseen or hangsitfers coolant( either one) gave the best finish. best to run the coolant rich.