586,471 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My chance to mutilate a CNC

Hi all,
    I just ordered a kit from Joe, with a few extras. I want to order the controllers next but had a question. Lots of folks seem to have some issue with the Xylo's and have gone over to the HobbyCNC boards. I'm leaning toward the HobbyCNC kit but would like bigger motors then the standard 200's it comes with. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what motor to get that will work with the HobbyCNC(links appreciated)? I sent an email to HobbyCNC but was unhappy with the reply as it missed more than half of my questions. If this is the standard (Which doesn't seem to be, based on everyone's oppinion) mayhap I'd be best off to look into the Geckos or something similar. Oppnions gratefully received. Has anyone tried cutting thin aluminum using a fine bit? Also has anyone found a 4th axis setup that works well with the Joe router?

Thanks,
    Daryl

what i would suggest is look at what your doing now and what you could be doing in the future ,
    by this i mean you can buy something that is good enough for what you need now , but is it upgradable for bigger motors or what have you ,if you feel the need to
    i have a fet3 from stepper world that is on the shelf with a few hours use , it was good enough at the time but i wanted better speed and torque , didn t like changing resistors when upgrading the power supplies etc , needless to say i bought geckos (which i should have done first) and they are worth it ,
    if you have the room to pay a little more for drivers ,i would highly suggest gecko ,
    most of us start building small economy cnc's and once we see how well they work then we get serious , which means many of us end up with spare drivers motors and power supplies kicking around because we bought everything twice ,

Well my Joes kit showed up yesterday (YAY). But it turns out if you are moving a large heavy box and it tips over and lands on the little pactec plastic case(that was mysteriously left on the floor) that you have to turn around and order another little plastic case Luckily I've been so swamped at work that I didn't get a chance to build the HobbyCNC kit so it was only a case.

Hopefully new parts will be in by next week so I can start building the week after I finish off a glassblowing class (Far too many hobbies).

Quote Originally Posted by erebus View Post
    Well my Joes kit showed up yesterday (YAY). But it turns out if you are moving a large heavy box and it tips over and lands on the little pactec plastic case(that was mysteriously left on the floor) that you have to turn around and order another little plastic case Luckily I've been so swamped at work that I didn't get a chance to build the HobbyCNC kit so it was only a case.

Hopefully new parts will be in by next week so I can start building the week after I finish off a glassblowing class (Far too many hobbies).
    Daryl,

Welcome to the club! Can't wait to see the progress on your machine!
    When you post pics of your machine it would be nice to see some of your glassblowing projects!

Bob