586,102 active members*
2,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

For Al_The_Man

Hey,

Can you tell me your opinion on this card Al, thx in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42895

H3ndrix

h3ndrix, Hey yourself, NO there's no way you want to be bidding on that, it just might start a bidding war
    Seriously, That is a card I have used to retro-fit an Excello Mill and also some Flame/Plasma gantrys.
    It is a Legacy card, one of the first produced by Acroloop (taken over by Parker-Hannefin). This will either stand-alone or sits in a PC ISA card.
    Acroloop originally brought out this card together with many ways of writing your own software, they subsequently released Acrocut s/w for flame/plasma gantry software (DOS based). which was adopted by some of the major Plasma table manuf.
    They later put out a mill package, Acromill, again DOS based, I believe they have a win NT package for the mill also.
    The DOS based packages are about $1000.00 last time I checked, but you can use them on more than one machine.
    They do not have a Lathe package, unfortunately.
    The thing I like about the Acroloop line is the on-board PLC and the Opto-Isolated I/O which makes for a very compact system.
    I had a questions in to the seller of this card as some sellers look at the web description without knowing wether it is truly an 8 axis card or wether it is stepper or servo, as unlike Galil which are jumper selectable , the Acroloop cards are ordered as stepper or servo. Hopefully they are correct if they say it was removed working.
    The bottom line is it is a very good card. The latest Acromill has just about all the G codes including macro programing, and the M codes are customizable, and alarm/message screens can be writen.
    It includes a on screen 'scope for servo tuning, and a library of shapes, including the ability to write your own, as well as on screen cut path trace.
    Programming is done with standard G & M codes as well as DXF import.
    So there.
    Al

So, you are saying you would actually recommend this card, or you think it is legacy and therefore its obsolete and you dont think I should look into it?

Thank you,

H3ndrix

h3ndrix, It's still a good card, although obsolete and I have found them to be very reliable, I had an answer back from the lister and he claims it is true 8 axis and is a stepper card. I do not use steppers so it would be no good for my application.
    There is virtually no third party s/w so you would need either the Acromill or Acrocut s/w.
    They also at one point had something called Acrogen, which resembled the Acrocut, but was for general applications. The manuals can be found at http://www.compumotor.com/manuals/Acroloop/ACR.htm Parker still have some of the Acroloop engineers on staff, but I don't know how long that will last.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.