584,340 active members*
6,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Stuff to get up and running with 3 x 0.75kw kit? + Question

Stuff to get up and running with 3 x 0.75kw kit? + Question

3 questions before I buy:

What motion controller could I use to get up and running with my RF-45 conversion using the 3 x 0.75kw servo package on the DMM site? (https://dmm-store-shopify.myshopify....c-servo-system)

How do the DMMs compare to say Delta servo drives? Since they are much cheaper. Or other more 'professional' options. I am aware the servos are too large for an RF-45, this is because I'd like to later put them on a Skyfire CNC. Are they suitable for such an application?

What else would I need electrically speaking for my conversion? I am in Australia so our voltage is 240v AC.

Also perhaps a silly question but 3x750W = 2250W so why is the kit power supply 1kw?

Is there now encoder output from the driver (I read in this thread there was not - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dmm-te...-software.html)

I am trying to put together a budget at the moment and will engage in detailed learning later (though a lot is being doing now!).
    Thanks for any help/answers.

Re: Stuff to get up and running with 3 x 0.75kw kit? + Question

You probably already saw this post, but LtDan put together a pretty comprehensive list of the components needed in a DMM DYN4 servo setup. Thats definitely been an assist to me in planning out my cabinet. 240v AC is what we have in the states, so components should be comparable.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dmm-te...23202-cnc.html

Read the fine print on the DYN2 drives and the 750w servos. RPM is 2000 with DYN2 drives vs 3000 with the DYN4 drives. DYN2 requires a DC power supply while the DYN4 does not (internal components are rated up to max 300vAC per documentation). If you do a cost analasys it would be worth seeing if the cost of a PSU brings the DYN2 drive setup up to the cost of a DYN4 setup. Just an FIY, in the states you can source the PSU DMM sends in their kits for significantly less then DMM is selling them for. If you go the DYN2 route see if you can find one sold locally in Australia. MeanWell SE-1000-48

From what I have observed power supplies for CNC systems are not rated at the full load power requirements for the whole system. The assumption is that you will never have all axis motors maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by WesM View Post
    You probably already saw this post, but LtDan put together a pretty comprehensive list of the components needed in a DMM DYN4 servo setup. Thats definitely been an assist to me in planning out my cabinet. 240v AC is what we have in the states, so components should be comparable.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dmm-te...23202-cnc.html

Read the fine print on the DYN2 drives and the 750w servos. RPM is 2000 with DYN2 drives vs 3000 with the DYN4 drives. DYN2 requires a DC power supply while the DYN4 does not (internal components are rated up to max 300vAC per documentation). If you do a cost analasys it would be worth seeing if the cost of a PSU brings the DYN2 drive setup up to the cost of a DYN4 setup. Just an FIY, in the states you can source the PSU DMM sends in their kits for significantly less then DMM is selling them for. If you go the DYN2 route see if you can find one sold locally in Australia. MeanWell SE-1000-48

From what I have observed power supplies for CNC systems are not rated at the full load power requirements for the whole system. The assumption is that you will never have all axis motors maxed out.
    The power supplies now for the new Dyna2 drives are rated at 60v and can go up to 70v so have a much better performance than the older 48v drives you can get a transformer 1000w 64v power supply for around $100 and you can make what you need, here is a good supplier

AN-10464 - 1000VA 64V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The power supplies now for the new Dyna2 drives are rated at 60v and can go up to 70v so have a much better performance than the older 48v drives you can get a transformer 1000w 64v power supply for around $100 and you can make what you need, here is a good supplier

AN-10464 - 1000VA 64V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

Just a note for others considering this. I just got one of their 4 axis 750w kits they sell on ebay. I had the exact same question if a higher voltage power supply would be a good upgrade to their kit. Keep in mind my design parameters is rpms of 1000 or below but with maximum torque available.
    They said that the higher voltage would help push the top rpm limit to 1500 from 1200. but the torque would be fine with their 48v power supply for the rpms I'm going to be running. Also they said to incorporate some smoothing capacitors on the drive input side with a link to the size recommended https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1152-ND/588893

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2464 View Post
    Just a note for others considering this. I just got one of their 4 axis 750w kits they sell on ebay. I had the exact same question if a higher voltage power supply would be a good upgrade to their kit. Keep in mind my design parameters is rpms of 1000 or below but with maximum torque available.
    They said that the higher voltage would help push the top rpm limit to 1500 from 1200. but the torque would be fine with their 48v power supply for the rpms I'm going to be running. Also they said to incorporate some smoothing capacitors on the drive input side with a link to the size recommended https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1152-ND/588893
    The only thing I see is you don't want to have is a fuse on the negative line, the rest is normal for there power supply
    Mactec54