587,478 active members*
3,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Are Chinese servos a gamble? Servos vs Leadshine closed loop

Hybrid View

Re: Are Chinese servos a gamble? Servos vs Leadshine closed loop

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    IF the boxes meet Australian supply regulations - IF, then all you should need is a simple mains filter between the wall and the boxes.
    One filter for the whole system would be enough.

Cheers
    Roger
    Thanks, and if they need something to dampen our power spikes? I believe depending on the area you're in here you can vary up to 250v or something (I'll have to check). If that's the case, and they only appreciate up to 245... ? Is it an expensive device required?

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    Thanks, and if they need something to dampen our power spikes? I believe depending on the area you're in here you can vary up to 250v or something (I'll have to check). If that's the case, and they only appreciate up to 245... ? Is it an expensive device required?

It may be worth talking to DMM and seeing what they recommend. They have been very helpful the last couple times I called about their Servo/drives.

Quote Originally Posted by WesM View Post
    It may be worth talking to DMM and seeing what they recommend. They have been very helpful the last couple times I called about their Servo/drives.
    If you did go with the Dmm system and use there high voltage Servo Drives, you would have to use a line reactor, or a Transformer so you can stabilize your line voltage, or you would kill the servo Drives with the over voltage that you are experiencing, this would be a must to get under control for any system you use
    Mactec54

They do indeed seem good. You can get them for 600 shipped.

Is 2500 ppr really a big deal on these servos?

Also servos outperform a leadshine in every respect, really? I am not after super fast rapids, I would like Tormach potential which boast under 150ipm for their ipm speeds on their mills and good ACCURACY. I am aware they use open loop with torque reserve and good engineering to not miss steps. With leadshine closed loop steppers I could achieve no missed steps and similar IPM / accuracy I think. Or with their clones. I have read steppers if they don't miss steps can actually be more accurate than servos (in my price range).

Prices for Aussie customers and pros/cons I've noted are as follows:
    Leadshine CLONE CLOSED LOOP steppers for like $700 AUD delivered (clones so.... not as great drivers?)

Leadshine closed loop genuine (chinese models) are more like $900 (steppers, not servos, but is this really a disadvantage if you're not chasing massive IPM)

Chinese Servos come in at 1000 to 1200 (good but 2500ppr, and bad manuals),

Chinese servos with better encoders - around 1500-1600

DMM for just under $2000 delivered to Aus.

I am really really looking toward option 1 - leadshine clones. Save 1400 over DMM. I reckon they will equal whatever Tormach has and the money I'll save will be better spent on other things - better ballscrews later, hiwin rails for x and y, A nice surface table, or even money off a Skyfire / Tormach / VMC which I might upgrade too later.

Keep in mind that that is the basic quadrature count, most controllers will times this by 4 by counting all four edges.
    Resulting in 10k pulses/rev in this case.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

They do indeed seem good. You can get them for 600 shipped.

Also servos outperform a leadshine in every respect, really? I am not after super fast rapids, I would like Tormach potential which boast under 150ipm for their ipm speeds on their mills and good ACCURACY. I am aware they use open loop with torque reserve and good engineering to not miss steps. With leadshine closed loop steppers I could achieve no missed steps and similar IPM / accuracy I think. Or with their clones. I have read steppers if they don't miss steps can actually be more accurate than servos (in my price range).

Prices for Aussie customers and pros/cons I've noted are as follows:
    Leadshine CLONE CLOSED LOOP steppers for like $700 AUD delivered (clones so.... not as great drivers?)

Leadshine closed loop genuine (chinese models) are more like $900 (steppers, not servos, but is this really a disadvantage if you're not chasing massive IPM)

Chinese Servos come in at 1000 to 1200 (good but 2500ppr, and bad manuals),

Chinese servos with better encoders - around 1500-1600

DMM for just under $2000 delivered to Aus.

I am really really looking toward option 1 - leadshine clones. Save 1400 over DMM. I reckon they will equal whatever Tormach has and the money I'll save will be better spent on other things - better ballscrews later, hiwin rails for x and y, A nice surface table, or even money off a Skyfire / Tormach / VMC which I might upgrade too later.
    You heard wrong they could never be as accurate as AC Servos, even the cheap ones, when you have to chase your dollars as I said before buy what you can afford, but don't get the servos that Edmunns just listed, if these where the ones you looked at

It looks like the genuine Leadshine is your best bet , with there encoders at,2500=10,000ppr if they are incremental, yes Encoders are a big deal, these servo's are not worth the extra money to buy them, the Dmm Encoder is 65,384ppr standard
    Mactec54