586,094 active members*
4,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Is Solid Works worth learning?

Don't have to pay the $1.5K maintenance fee for SW to just keep using SW.
    But if you want to upgrade, you have to pay the upgrade price of every version you skipped.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    But if you want to upgrade, you have to pay the upgrade price of every version you skipped.
    Why should I upgrade when SW 2010 works perfect for me?

On benefit that Soildworks offers that Fusion may not offer is the ability to do FEA, CFD, motion and tolerance analysis. You didn't mention what your ideal profession would be after finishing up school. If that profession is engineering related, then Solidworks may provide benefit to you as it gives you a chance learn new skills. If your just interested in CAD/CAM then Fusion would meet all your needs.

Fusion does offer FEA and other simulation types.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    We update every year here at work to keep current with everyone else who updates. Forward compatibility is something Solidworks isn't too keen on.

If it's just for personal use, or you are the only one who works on your stuff then it's not a problem. I was using Solidworks 2001 at home for the longest time before switching.

I think there is 2 question here, what is the best Cad and what do I need to know. About 10 years ago autocad had a great 2d package but were lacking a good 3d Package, I thought they would go under. Solidworks rule back then. Every place I worked had Solidworks. Now I would give Solidworks a slight edge above Fusion 360 in a CAD package, but when you add cost fusion is hands down the winner.
    You need to look at the places you would be working, are they using Solidworks? Some have said they have a seat just so they can use that format for the customer . So I would say yes you need to have some knowledge of Solidworks.

SolidWorks is really great, I love it and I've been working with it for a long time.
    I recently had a closer look at Fusion360 and did some projects with it.
    Fusion is really great, especially the render engine for e.g. works like a charm.
    I am thinking about completely switching to Fusion if some missing functions have been added. (broken-out sections in drawings, ability to change distance between dimensioning lines etc.)

Hsm pro is ver very good take a look at it,,,,,,drawing modeling and machining,,,and 99% of posts are free

That's true for hobbyists, but any one doing commercial work might have customers that send over current version files so updating annually might be necessary to keep them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    That's true for hobbyists, but any one doing commercial work might have customers that send over current version files so updating annually might be necessary to keep them happy.
    There is some truth to this. Solidworks is an industry standard. I have only used the feature a few times but you can import into Fusion. It will import almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I am a business and in fact last week needed files from a customer. The customer will send files in IGES format. So that argument doesn't apply.

Don

I could be wrong but I believe Fusion is based on the Inventor software. If not great and maybe they improved since I last used it but if so, I would avoid it. The .ipj project file system in Inventor js an absolute nightmare to the point where we dread opening legacy files at work. Unless you like cherry trees and "resolve link" nag screens etc. God forbid someone renames a shared file or moves it. I used (suffered) Inventor from the very first release back in the mid/late 90's until 2005. Switched my whole company to SW and SO glad we did. Most if the Engineers I hire know SW. Soon though I'm sure the younger crowd pragmatically adopting 360 based on cost will likely tip the scales the other way. Autodesk is doing the same give it away marketing that made .dwg the defacto 2D standard back in the 80's. If Dasault is smart they will do something cost wise to match.
    I run a SW home license tied to my seat at work. If I ever leave my job I would get my own seat for sure.

Autocad back in the '80s was nothing more than a graphite workstation with a LISP.

Think I learned on version 2.0 in college. 1985
    Had to go to a computer lab and wait my turn to use it
    Interestingly SW opens and manipulates .dwg's nicely.

I am a business and in fact last week needed files from a customer. The customer will send files in IGES format. So that argument doesn't apply.

Don
    I'm glad that your client is accommodating, but not all clients are and if you can't read files the way they send them there are always plenty of other shops that can. I usually get clients that want to send TinkerCAD or SketchUp files, so count yourself lucky.

Fusion is very attractive to me and I bet many people. The price point is main thing and it gets both cad and cam work done in one program with one interface of menus, clicks, navigation keys....... I currently use a cad program with one interface and it does move models directly into cam and into position ready to go like fusion. You still need to change interface and navigation system to the cam program. Takes a little time to get this type of 2 program system all working.

I mentioned above after a while you can get a system built up of both cad models and cam operations to get consistent results. Imho this pays for itself especially over time. I upgraded to a newer mechanical drawing package and was amazed at what I can draw in minute detail with little effort right down to the springs and screws and then select and send the parts right into position for cam operations. Wished I had done this couple years ago.

Attachment 382894

Pretty impressive to make models like this while learning a program and goofing off for the most part

Solidworks is the industry standard pretty much. Most positions will ask if you know how to use solidworks. I dont model much because im a cnc programmer. Solidworks is like mastercam. Learn it well and you can find jobs. Majortiy of cnc programming jobs ask for mastercam and solidworks.

I’ve cut metal wood and corian,,and to this day it is easier (for me) to draw geometry in Autocad ,,,then add volume and material thickness in the cam package,,,,,

1. Draw dxf —-Autocad
    2. Import dxf——- master/alpha
    3. Move to 0,0,0
    4 apply tools

every job I’ve had updates the licenses with subscriptions for Solidworks but I never have time to sit down and get proper training,,,I don’t know why we pay for it,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by number000073 View Post
    I’ve cut metal wood and corian,,and to this day it is easier (for me) to draw geometry in Autocad ,,,then add volume and material thickness in the cam package,,,,,
    That seems.... insane. 3D models can be built as quickly, if not more quickly, than 2D drawings. And you can then assemble ALL the parts of a design into a model, to check fit, clearances, range of travel, do FEA, thermal analysis, and much, much more. I would NEVER go back to 2D drawings. It takes about 2X as long to do anything in 2D.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Faster than creating a rectangle in Autocad and saving the file as dxf?

Page 2 of 3 123