586,075 active members*
4,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Problems upgrading to Path Pilot 2.0 Bios Screen

Problems upgrading to Path Pilot 2.0 Bios Screen

I have recently purchased Path Pilot 2 and have been trying to install it following Tormach's usually brilliant installation procedures. I have backed up all of the files that I need to back up to a USB and carried out a back up of this to my P.C. just to be safe, as per Tormach's recommendations. Now when I go to upload the new software I have got the BIOS screen on the controller but it is not the same as indicated in the Tormach's illustration. I get the following on the display from top down.

P1:ASUS DVD-E818AAT a
    P1 WDC WDC2500AAKX-00ERERMA0
    Enter Setup

I do not get UEFI: General UDisk 5.0 or General Udisk 5.0 The instructions say Do Not select any options prefaced with DVD, UEFI or WDC. The instructions tell me to select the USB device option but I do not get any USB options.
    Typically it is a holiday weekend so I won't be able to get any help. Which option do I choose for starting up?

Re: Problems upgrading to Path Pilot 2.0 Bios Screen

Make sure the USB is plugged in, It glows red. Maybe try another USB spot.

Hi Josh, I unplugged the USB and plugged it back in again and I got a red flash from it and that was all so I shut everything down and plugged it into one of the ports directly on the front of the controller and "Bingo"! I have the correct options.
    I will now go ahead and install following the Tormach Procedure.
    Thanks for the solution. I can only assume that the remote connection is not very reliable, I've not had problems reading programmes from USB's plugged into it or transferring files to a USB via it in the past.

Thanks once again. I've successfully installed Path Pilot 2.0. Have a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year

Phew, glad that worked!

For the record, my remote USB port has the same issue, and plugging direct onto the main box clears the problem.

The technical explanation is the remote port is electrically 'behind' a USB hub-- some extension cables are 'one-port' USB hubs in order to supply more power, and every multi-port extension is a hub. Many BIOS don't enumerate and look for boot devices below external hubs to reduce BIOS complexity.

In-use the operating system enumerates everything and it's all happy, so it's more of a boot-thing than a reliability-thing if the port is otherwise functional.

So, summary-- if you're having problems with USB devices and BIOS, plug the device into one of the ports on the main-box controller itself (in the old days not even every port on the box worked the same, but I think they all are now)