586,060 active members*
4,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Go Dial or Go Digital ?

So Im buying a good calipers, probably Starrett. They're quite expensive so I want to get the right one.

Is there any differance between the accuracy of the mechanisms in Dial or Digital. Im thinking digital simply for the ease of use. But maybe Dial are more robust.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

give mitutoyo a try. I used to buy alot of calipers for our shop until I ran accross mitutoyo IP67 coolant-proof digimatic calipers. these things take a beating and still hold there accuracy to ±.001

Fwiw, the 15 year old cheap $20.00 chinese caliper with a dial gives me the same reading as a digital Starrett. Unless you need better than .001
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have both Starrett and mitutoya mic's and calipers in my tool inventory. I have found that the Starrett stands behind their accuracy, their name, for recalibration. And besides, they are made in the USA! I use hand me downs from my dad which are hand me downs from his dad and Starrett still will calibrate them for you.
    As for digitals, keep them away from any magnetic source, they will be destroyed immediately!
    You get what you pay for!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    ... But maybe Dial are more robust.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Probably not more robust. These have a rack and pinion mechanism to turn the dial and it is very susceptible to clogging with dirt.

how do the digital ones sense location then, like glass scale? getting away from the rack and pinion is a good idea, but my preference is the dial. Before dials/digital vernier calipers were called very-nears, they are useful especially for roughing but use a mic when it counts. I like the good one's as well, B&S,Starrett, Mit., but they're all equally toast as soon as you drop them

digital

- being able to switch between metric and inches.
    - zero can be set at any point in its movement.
    - no rack and pinion

imho

sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    how do the digital ones sense location then, like glass scale? getting away from the rack and pinion is a good idea, but my preference is the dial. Before dials/digital vernier calipers were called very-nears, they are useful especially for roughing but use a mic when it counts. I like the good one's as well, B&S,Starrett, Mit., but they're all equally toast as soon as you drop them
    "Before dials/digital vernier calipers were called very-nears,"

Tut, tut, a vernier caliper is a caliper with a vernier scale, a digital caliper is a caliper with a digital display, a dial caliper is a caliper with a dial display, but I am not sure what a dial/digital vernier caliper is.

The digital location system is some form of magnetic sensing; somewhat analogous to a tape recorder head moving along a strip impressed with a changing magnetic field.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    "Before dials/digital vernier calipers were called very-nears,"

t I am not sure what a dial/digital vernier caliper is.
    i should have omitted the word "vernier". to state more precisely, the error, comes from the rigidity of the frame vs a mic so is present with dial and digital calipers. I look to calipers to get me within a thou, a mic to get less than a thou

I myself like dial thats just me i trust them more my guys in the shop like didgys but keep in mind calipers "no matter what are still just a referance tool" if you want a good true mesurment you need mics.
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

The standard is 10 times the accuracy of measurement if you are measuring .001 then use something that can measure .0001 so basically if you need to measure to .001 use Mic's if your tolerance is +/-.005 use calipers. I've found my mitutoyos are good to a thousandth of an inch and they are digital but we have a calibration department so when they're done throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    So Im buying a good calipers, probably Starrett. They're quite expensive so I want to get the right one.

Is there any differance between the accuracy of the mechanisms in Dial or Digital. Im thinking digital simply for the ease of use. But maybe Dial are more robust.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Most catalogs tell you what the accuracy of the calipers are so use that as a guide when purchasing. As everyone else has said use a mic for true measurements and calipers for reference. Personally I like my Brown and Sharp shockproof calipers, which are dial calipers. I've dropped them twice since I bought them and the 0 is still top center. As to accuracy they are certified to +-.002, however right out of the box and still today they read approimately .0003 over when checked on a 1in and 5in standard. Not bad all things considered. I opted for the black face with white markings which has an orange indicator hand, very easy to read even when the light isn't the best.

Scott
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Work on manual machinery grinding carbide all day. Dry and wet grinding.
    Have used Mitutoyo and Starrett. The japanese digital caliper works well when new, but soon dies in the arse from the dust and dirt. The Starrett survives reasonably well in comparison.

However I don't trust either of them. You simply have no idea where they are and rather than trying to get a feel for the size, you look at the display and wiggle it until you see a number you're happy with.

Either a dial or scale Starrett for me. (And that's coming from Aus, where they're nearly twice the price of the bloody Japanese gear.)

Where the accuracy needs to be any better than 0.1mm, I ditch the caliper and go straight to a scale micrometer. Much easier to get a good feel of size and know it's the truth.

if you happen to buy mitutoyo avoid anythig thats made in brazil ,
    absolute garbage
    i was so disappointed with their digitals that i vowed never to buy anything mitutoyo again due to the quality and support ,
    been 5 yrs since then i saw a good sale price on their newer swiss style 8" dial calipers (brazil) figured i'd give them another chance which was an outright stupid judgement call , garbage again , i am constantly calibrating and adjusting them
    NEVER AGAIN ! their quality isn t what it used to be

try tesa , they make nice stuff , lil more price but definite quality

We switched to digitals on the shop floor about 8 years ago. Hands down, we get longer life from the digitals than we ever got on dial calipers. We run in a production environment, our calipers are not babied. We seem to get 4-5 years from the digitals at which point they are still working, but have been dropped enough so that the contact points are no longer accurate.