586,971 active members*
3,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

Hybrid View

Re: Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    My only interest in connectivity is for moving gCode back and forth here.
    Understand, the internet test is just to see if your connection to your local network is working. Knowing this works means its just an issue with either the PP controller or your PC configuration.

As I mentioned before make sure your PP controller and PP simulator have different network names or don’t have them on at the same time. You can’t have 2 controllers both using the same network name TORMACHPCNC!

Also, hidden in the details is that the predefined PP share is using WORKGROUP as the workgroup name. This is the default workgroup name for Windows but if you setup Window with a different name then the PP share will not show up until both names are the same.

You can change the PP share workgroup name by editing the file “/etc/samba/smb.conf”. Look for the statement “workgroup = WORKGROUP” and change it to “workgroup = yourname”. There is no way to do it through the controller interface so you have to open up a terminal “Ctrl+Alt+X” and enter the command “$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf” to edit the file.

For both my mill and lathe I have them setup to boot to the desktop. I do so because I want access to my NAS and to run applications. As such I have mostly ignore Samba & the predefined gcode share but they do work.

Without really diving into your PP configuration files, local network/router/firewall, PC configuration/firewall, and such, I’m just about tapped out for any more suggestions.

Re: Path Pilot v2.0 Network (Samba) Share Not Accessible

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Also, hidden in the details is that the predefined PP share is using WORKGROUP as the workgroup name. This is the default workgroup name for Windows but if you setup Window with a different name then the PP share will not show up until both names are the same..
    That's the issue. For security reasons, I don't use a workgroup. I will think about establishing one (named WORKGROUP, of course), but then I'd need to systematically unshare lots of folders, or make my LAN more secure. It might be worth it.

Thanks for your help.